If you’re new to the blog (*waves*), these regular posts are all about sharing with you the best of the beauty products that have landed in my bathroom and on my face/body/head.
To make the cut here, the product has to be pretty damn special. What I feature may not work for you but I hope I can point you in a new direction if you’re looking to change things up in the makeup, skincare and hair care department.
I know each and every one of you have your own personal guidelines and budget restraints so, while I can’t be all things to all people with each product mentioned, I can offer a diverse mix in my top five each month.
In December, the year’s 50 products – plus any others I’ve included in beauty advice posts here on Styling You – will be up for a spot in my Top 20 beauty products for 2016. Here’s a look at what made the cut in 2015.
1. Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water in oil $14.99: If you fell in love with Garnier Micellar water a couple of years ago, and long-lasting makeup is very much a part of your daily beauty kit, then you’re going to love this. I have been using a separate eye makeup cleanser as well as Micellar water but this does the job of both. Winning. It’s so gentle on your skin because it dissolves makeup without rubbing. And don’t panic, the argon oil doesn’t make your skin feel oily. Available at supermarkets, discount department stores and pharmacies.
2. Banana Boat SunComfort SPF 50+ sunscreen spray $16.99: This sunscreen had me at “sand easily brushes off”. I love the beach but … THE SAND … not my favourite bit. On a recent beach day I gave this a try on me and my son. And guess what, it worked. The sand didn’t stick so I could easily give it the flick off my legs. It’s going to have a permanent spot in my beach bag. Other benefits – the high SPF, four-hour water resistance and it hydrates your skin. Available at supermarkets and pharmacies.
3. Kevin Murphy Re.Store Repairing Cleansing Treatment $55: My beautiful hairdresser Nadine at Cheveux Design and Espresso handed me this product a couple of weeks ago as I walked out all salon-fresh from her handiwork. My inner lazy-girl beauty was intrigued. This was a treatment that also cleansed your hair. How does that even work? Does it work? OH YES IT DOES. It’s a bit out-of-the-box in terms up application: you wet your hair and then apply this to your hair and scalp as you would your shampoo. BUT, it doesn’t lather up. You leave it on a few minutes and rinse. Your hair feels immediately soft and smooth but, YES, it’s cleansed as well. It’s sulphate and paraben-free and chock full of proteins and amino acids to rebuild and restore your hair. I’m packing it for my trip to Bali next week because packing one hair product instead of two is a great idea. Available at Adore Beauty and in Kevin Murphy salons.
4. jNails by Jellystone Designs nail polish $17.95: Like nail colour but not the chemical cocktail that can come with it? This is a new Australian brand that it non-toxic, odourless and water-based. Water is the drying solvent. But don’t let that scare you away from its colour quality, shine and chip resistance. It stacks up with regular nail colours. It’s ultimately better for your nails too as it’s less drying. The launch Reef collection of colours includes eight vibrant hues and 50 cents from the sale of each nail polish will go to the Australian Marine Conservation Society.
5. Sodashi Arabian Oud Body Oil $159: Oh MY. There are body oils and there ARE body oils. This new offering from luxury, chemical-free skincare brand, Sodashi, is self-care in a bottle. Oud is the most prized “wood” in aromatherapy and helps to release stored emotions and calm nerves – the perfect anecdote to tiredness and stress. In this product the Oud sits as a beautiful fragrant layer alongside frankincense, sandalwood and rose. Apply on damp skin after a shower or bath and your skin will also thank you for the hydrating benefits that come from cold-pressed macadamia, almond, apricot kernel and jojoba oils. Not tested on animals.
So, it’s over to you … have you tried anything new that we need to hear about? Spill in the comments.
* Unless otherwise mentioned in the post, these products were gifted to me for editorial consideration. Full disclosure policy here.
Styling You Shop
Keen to get your wardrobe ready for summer?
Are you looking for outfit inspiration?
The spring-summer 2016 Styling You shop opens TOMORROW, October 21, for just one month.
The Styling You shop offers a carefully chosen edit of seasonal clothing pieces to enable the busy woman to update her wardrobe quickly and without stress.
Our 15-piece capsule wardrobe edit will see you through the season in style. Plus we’ll show you how to wear those pieces 28 different ways.
To be first in the know, sign up here.