It’s here. The Styling You top 20 beauty products 2015.
This list features products that were released on to the market in 2015 as well as some previous releases that I discovered and fell in love with.
Most of the products below come from the posts I featured each month up in my monthly beauty favourites posts. Others have come from themed posts and sponsored posts.
The big test for their inclusion here was based on whether I was still using them and in some cases had re-purchased once and twice after the original sample had finished.
In most cases I was initially sent the sample to trial and possibly share with you. In other cases I bought the product. For a product to even to be featured on my blog, it has to have some kind of difference or special appeal that warrants a trial and then I have to be blown away during that trial.
With sponsored posts, yes I’m paid to write about those products featured, but I think it’s the ultimate test if long after that job has finished that I’m still using and buying that product because it was as effective and useful as I initially found it.
The top 20 appear below in no particular order but they are grouped in beauty product “type”.
I’ve also included online links to where you can buy the product or contact someone via online to find a stockist near you.
So, with the disclaimers out of the way, let’s roll on with my top 20 beauty products for 2015.
The VERY GOOD news is that one lucky SY reader and beauty lover is going to have a chance to win all 20 products. That’s one big beauty haul. Read on for details on how to enter.
1. Nair Sensitive Hair Removal Shower Cream $8.69: If you haven’t tried hair removal creams or home waxing since the ‘80s (like I hadn’t) then I suggest you embrace. This is easy to use in the shower, saves you a tonne of time and gets fabulously smooth results.
2. St Tropez In-Shower Gradual Tan $39.99: I stumbled on this in Boots in London in June and quickly added it to my shower routine. It was released in Australia in October. The only downside I’ve found is that you have to switch off the shower for three minutes after application before you can rinse off. Apart from that, the result is a very good one.
3. bhave Gun Powder Matt Styling Dust $29.95: bhave has released a range of styling products to complement its hair shampoo, conditioner and treatments range. This is my fave of the new releases as I like to create a bit of lift in my hair towards the back of my part. Teasing and back-combing helps achieve that and styling dust keeps it in place. Love the wand design of this product for control of delivery. Available from selected hair salons. Use the salon locater to find one near you.
4. Klara Cosmetics RESET GLOW $24.99: Get your glow and keep your skin hydrated all day with this product that you can wear as a primer or on its own. I’ve been using it both ways – much like I might otherwise wear a BB or CC Cream. It contains light-reflecting prisms that ensure you look fresh all day long. It’s super silky and lightweight on the skin.
5. MUD CC Cream $8: This budget range of cosmetics burst on to the market in Woolworths supermarkets this winter and quickly sold out – for good reason. The products well and truly stack up with more expensive counterparts. This CC Cream corrects and evens your skin tone and leaves your skin radiant even if you’re not feeling so.
6. Maybelline NY Dream Wonder Foundation $21.95: The formulation of Dream Wonder is fluid so it will actually surprise you that such a lightweight liquid (it’s 12 times lighter than traditional liquid foundations) can deliver the coverage. It does so thanks to concentrated pigments that give you perfect coverage that’s build-able. This is my top budget foundation for 2015.
7. Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish Perfectly Satin 24HR foundation $50: If you’re still looking for a foundation with a matte finish that stays, this is definitely worth checking out. I’ve had great success with it lasting and keeping that even finish in place all day. I love the finish for an event or occasion as I know I don’t need to worry about touch-ups. It’s worth getting colour matched on this one at an Elizabeth Arden counter.
8. Face of Australia LUMI-tint $12.95: You know how I love an illuminator? Well, here you have a budget option that is so good. It was a limited edition release but there are still product to be found out there. The two most popular shades are When in Rome and Santorini Skinny Dip. Santorini Skinny is a soft pink nude that complements my skin tone. Against animal testing and support cruelty free
9. NARS Dual Intensity blush (in Fervour) $65: This has become my go-to cheek colour product. I use the darker shade (a gorgeous coppery rose) on the apples of my cheeks, back up toward the temple (but easing off the intensity of application as I go). I use the lighter shade (a soft pink) as a highlighter along the tops of my cheekbones, down my nose, on my chin and if my eyes haven’t already been given a highlighting lift, I whack some on there too.
10. Curtis Collection by Victoria Lip Velvet (in pink truffle) $34: I spotted these on the counter at the salon where I get my mani/pedis and spray tans (King’s Beauty Bardon). Correction: I spotted them on the lips of the therapists at the salon. And I wanted in. Specifically, I wanted stunning lip colours that stayed put on your lips but left your lips hydrated like a gloss. So I bought this colour and a vivid pink – cosmopolitan – and have not stopped wearing them. Paraben free and vegan friendly
11. ModelCo Lash & Line Superlash Mascara + Liquid Eyeliner $24: Oh I do love a hard-working, effective multi-tasker in my makeup kit. At one end is a “tube” mascara that coats each lash for zero smudge all day. If you’ve never used a tube mascara, it’s a bit strange at first but the results of the formula covering each lash in a tube are amazing. The brush is designed to lift and lengthen the lashes. At the other end of the product is a liquid eye liner. It’s a fine-tipped applicator that glides on easily and the formula won’t feather or move all day.
12. Laura Mercier Face Illuminator in Indiscretion $42: A beautiful face illuminating hybrid product with a soft rose gold shimmer perfect for highlighting. The unique formula based on high pearl levels provides build-able long-wearing colour. I wear this over the top of my foundation as a way to get an all-over glow happening. It was released as a limited edition product but you’ll still find it selected stockists, including David Jones.
13. Swisse Micellar Makeup Remover $10.95: Swisse is probably more known for its vitamin range but it’s far from a giant leap for this company to make the move into skin care. And it has done, with a range nutrient-enriched, natural skincare products. I’m a huge fan of Micellar water for taking off my face at the end of the day and this one will very much appeal to those who would prefer a more natural formulation. It’s synthetic-fragrance free (you’ll only detect the cucumber extract which your skin will love), and free from a whole bunch of stuff including SLS, SLES, Parabens, PEGS, mineral oils etc. Importantly it works, removing all the makeup and grime of the day. Not tested on animals, RSPO-certified – only sustainable sources of palm oil are used
14. Trilogy Make-Up Be Gone Cleansing Balm $36.90: Cleansing balms are the new black when it comes to getting off your makeup at the end of the day. Balms such as this work to dissolve away even the most stubborn waterproof and long-stay products. You apply a quarter of a teaspoon on to your fingertips and then massage into your face – on dry skin. Rinse the face washer in warm water and then gently wipe away makeup and balm. It’s so, so luxe on your skin thanks to a formula of mango seed butter, certified organic rosehip oil and sunflower seed oil. Cruelty free, no petrochemicals
15. Garnier Miracle Skin Cream $19.95: This is instant radiance in a tube. While instant transformation is great and very much a win, what sets this product apart is that it’s the first anti-ageing skin transformer. It works over time to help correct the signs of ageing by targeting wrinkles, dark spots, uniformity of skin tone, firmness, radiance and hydration.
16. Go-To Skincare Face Hero $44.95: Ever since I chatted to Zoe Foster-Blake about her skincare brand, I knew at some point this super clever beauty brain would add in a face oil. I like to apply an oil or serum on my face both morning and night and this one fits the bill. It’s a combination of 10 plant oils including certified organic Buriti, Brazil nut, macadamia, rosehip and calendula. Face Hero absorbs beautifully, giving your skin a moisture boost while protecting and brightening. I particularly love how it calms the skin – sometimes I need this extra boost as my face is the first to show any signs of stress. Cruelty-free and free from a bunch of nasties.
17. Olay Regenerist Miracle Boost Youth Pre-Essence $39.99: Olay scientists designed anti-ageing actives that boost cell renewal for faster, noticeable anti-ageing results – and the Olay Regenerist Miracle Boost Youth Pre-Essence is key to setting up your skin to improve the penetration of those actives. In a nutshell, this pre-essence boosts the power of the serum and moisturiser you layer on top afterwards. I love the way it feels on my face and it’s become a firm fixture in my routine.
19. NIVEA Cellular Anti-Age range $27.99 each: The premise of the formulation behind this product is that young skin cells work more effectively so if you need a helping hand in the skin cell department then the combination of ingredients in this product works to help make the cells feel younger again. It’s available in a night cream and day cream with SPF15 as well as an eye cream.
20. Sodashi Enzyme Face Polish $110: This amazing product has been a best seller this year thanks to its face-smoothing and brightening genius. Use once or twice a week after cleansing. Pomegranate fruit enzymes, rice powder, sweet orange and geranium are the key ingredients at work here. Not tested on animals, free from all synthetic ingredients
ONE Styling You reader will win each of these 20 products. This hamper of beauty goodies is valued at $749.05 and will have you glowing well into 2016.
To enter, simply answer the question below:
Name the one beauty product YOU’VE tried and tested this year that you’ve fallen in love with … and why?
Entries open on Wednesday, December 16 at 4.30am (AEST) and close on Wednesday, December 30 at 5pm (AEST). Australian entries only, sorry. The winner will be judged on originality and creativity (photos can be included and uploaded with the comment). The winner will be emailed and their name will be published here. Entrants must include an email address when the filling in the commenting system below to be eligible to enter. Full terms and conditions here.