This post is probably not directly for you. Consider it a potential resource to pass on subtly – or not so subtly – to the person or people most likely to buy you a Mother’s Day gift this year.
I know, I know. It should be all about the surprise. And that all we really want on Mother’s Day is a sleep-in/a cup of tea in bed/peace and quiet/handmade gifts from the kids.
Trust me, those things are my priorities too. But I also know that my kids and my husband will want some gift ideas. They always ask because they don’t want to disappoint. Some may say I’ve trained them well. 🙂
My number one tip for buying Mother’s Day gifts for the mums in your life is the same as buying for any female in your life at any time of the year. It’s about the individual woman. We’re complex creatures, yes, but we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to gifts.
A little effort into thinking about what really makes us tick, what gets us excited and what we want, goes really does go a long way to major success in the gift-buying department.
I have many girlfriends who are super easy to buy for because they like exactly the same things as I do. It’s trickier when you’re buying for someone who is quite different from you. That’s when you need to employ the not-so-subtle method of asking for hints or a wishlist OR you ask some of the people nearest and dearest to them what they think that person might like.
Most women I know LOVE receiving gifts that they wouldn’t have normally dipped into the family budget to buy themselves. Think accessories, jewellery, beauty products, day spa gift vouchers.
Clothes can be tricky. Unless the person you’ve buying for has given you specific guidance, interpreting a woman’s personal style can be fraught. Guessing her correct size can be quadruply (!) fraught.
If you are asked to provide a wish list of potential gift options by a family member and friend, avoid saying “I don’t need any presents” because if you’ve been asked, you can bet there is a present coming your way. Help the gift buyer out with a range of options and ideas. And remember, gift cards ARE ok. Well, they are in my gift-giving book when they’re really matched to the loves of the recipient.
This way, everyone wins. The gift buyers buys with confidence and the person on the receiving end gets something they truly love.
Now for my 10 Mother’s Day gift ideas for 2018. The below items are things I already own and love and know that many would love too. Some are from the Styling You Shop, some are new lovelies that have landed across my desk and most come from beautiful businesses run by other women.
2. Philosophy Ace Scarf $69: I love how gorgeously soft this scarf is and how it ties together all my favourite colours. It works with so much in my wardrobe.
3. Sip Bubbles shatterproof Champagne flutes $25 for 4: I’m not really an outdoors girl but I do like to be prepared should I find myself with a group of girls in a park or at the beach and in need of a celebratory glass of bubbles. I keep a bag of these in the car at all times.
4. Emma Kate Co. A6 notebook $5: Why give a card when you can give a whole notebook? I love having one of these in my handbag for jotting down anything that pops into my head.
5. Uberkate Flawed diamond pendant $300: These one-of-a-kind flawed diamond pendants are new to the fabulous Uberkate collection. I love that they are imperfectly perfect. Enter SY10 at checkout for a 10% discount across the entire Uberkate range.
6. Miss Monogram Miss London pouch in blushing $79.95 + optional wrist-strap $29.95: Who doesn’t love a little personalisation in a gift? Not me. I have several of these pouches in different colours and I’ve bought quite a few as gifts for others too. They work as clutches and as handbag organisers.
7. Adorne cuff $37.50: Wrist adornment is everything in my accessory book – the bolder the better. This cuff will add a special something-something to any outfit this season and beyond.
8. Skin Boss Body Oil $30 (or free with any purchase of two face oils): If you’re not on the Skin Boss train, hop to it. This range of face and body oils is not yet 12 months old but it’s changed the life and skin of so many women I know. Winter scaly skin be gone, I say.
9. Jimena Alejandra Rosie earrings $189: These were my first Jimena purchase and the start of a very deep love affair with this brand created by a former Brisbane lawyer. You will turn heads in any of the pieces in this collection, which feature natural semi-precious stones in everything from mini studs through to luxe drop earrings.
10. Glindawand Cosmetica cheek colour in Ophelia $39.95: I literally get stopped in my tracks by people asking for my cheek colour – this is it. It’s velvety smooth going on and it dusts on both a cheek blush colour and highlighter in one – so great for a glow all year round.
So, tell me, do you love finding just the right gift for someone? Got some ideas for the mum in your life? For yourself? (you know I’m VERY ok with the self gift!)
More Mother’s Day gift ideas
The Small Business Mother’s Day Gift Guide – The Builder’s Wife
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas – Style and Shenanigans