Editor’s note: I’m heading to Sydney today to speak at the Digital Parents Conference. Helping me out over the next couple of the days are the first of some semi-regular freelance blogger contributions you’ll see here on Styling You. Because I’m commissioning these posts and these bloggers are helping me to keep my blog running while I’m away from regular duties, I’ll also be paying them for their contributions. Today, say hello to the beautiful Melissa from Suger Coat It.
Well hello there loyal readers of Styling You. This is Melissa from Suger Coat It reporting for duty, I’ll be taking this morning’s Boot Camp. Don’t worry, you are in good hands. The gym and I are like this *holds up two crossed fingers*. Okay, so there are no push ups and not a interval run in sight, instead today I am answering the call of Rachel.
Rachel is trapped in a style rut and with two kids under the age of three, she would like some advice on a style that will work for her. That includes flat shoes because life’s too hectic for anything else. Challenge accepted Rachel! This is the perfect challenge for me, I’m all about ladies finding a style that works for them, their body and their life.
Get me out of my style rut.
Suits an active lifestyle.
Make this Mum of two feel fab!
- Look for inspiration around you. Visit blogs, read magazine’s and check out other woman on the street. Start to get a feel for what sort of clothes you like, the colours, the shapes and the lengths. A Pinterest board if that’s more your style. Bit by bit not only will you notice what’s happening trend-wise for the season, but you’ll know what you like. Make sure you do the Styling You wardrobe audit so you know what you have now.
- Know a bit about what you like and don’t like. Head to a local department store (they have the most range of trends usually) and start trying things on the by armload. Don’t take your wallet so you’re not tempted to buy everything there. This is just a fact-finding mission. You can always ask them to hold something you can’t live without while you grab your money from your car. Start to learn what works on your body without the pressure to purchase.
- Don’t be afraid to try something different. Now the wardrobe challenge above won’t do you any good at all if you don’t pick up some of the new styles, colours and trends that you spotted in point 1. If you like an item then go to put it back, I demand you hang that one over your arm for later. Seriously. Try something you’ve never worn before, you might be surprised. If you’re a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, grab a skirt or dress. Or even some cropped pants. Try something different. Now’s your chance.
- Ditch the excuses. Maybe your issue isn’t that you don’t have any clothes, but that you really just stopped trying. Ouch, right? If this is the case then it’s time to ditch those excuses and make some time for yourself. As the commercials say, you’re worth it. Grab some points from the five-minute make up, learn to style your hair quickly and easily (I plait mine, a lot) and find something that excites you about getting out the door looking great!
- Preparation is key to a speedy morning routine. If mornings are horrible for you, take five minutes before you go to bed, when it is quiet and you can think to chose an outfit for the next day. Even try it on. Then hang the whole thing up ready for morning. Same goes for shoes, hair style and make up. Don’t forget accessories, add a scarf, necklace or some bangles. Decide everything the night before and you can run on auto-pilot the next morning and still look amazing.
These are my picks for some great, new season items that will shove you out of that style rut and into your busy life, no problem at all. For Rachel I chose items that would flatter her shape, suit her lifestyle and be comfortable to wear.
Like Rachel have you found yourself in a style rut?
Or maybe you have just climbed out of one and have a tip to share with Rachel? Tell me all about it, pleeeeeease.
If you think you’d like to be considered as part of a Wardrobe Boot Camp post, then please email me ([email protected]) with a couple of photos and a brief run down of what specific help you would like.
Melissa Walker Horn is the chief blogger at Suger Coat It, a blog about living the sweet life. Known as Suger, Melissa loves her family, too much butter on fresh bread and anything with stripes on it. She created the Confident You series and shares her love of fashion, the gym and cooking most days of the week on her blog or via her weekly newsletter. A social media addict and consultant, you will find Melissa anywhere you search for Suger with an e.