I have frightened Mr Styling You. Not in the traditional hide behind the door, jump out and surprise him kind of way.
No, it was more in a casual passing remark I made about my desire to own a pair of white pants this summer.
“WHITE PANTS!” he squealed (insert false male high-pitched voice here).
“Yes, babe, don’t you know they’re SO hot right now,” I retorted.
“Suppose you’re going to wear gold shoes and belt as well,” said he who clearly has a lot of faith in my abilities as a stylist.
“Um, no, of course not. It’s all about the minimalism of white. It’s kind of like the antidote to the colour blocking trend this spring-summer,” I said trying to re-gain the higher fashion ground.
At this point, of course, we had been discussing women’s fashion for about 34 seconds, four seconds above his pain threshold, so I returned to my iMac (which incidentally is white) and gave it some loving instead.
I haven’t purchased new white for spring as yet but on my vlog below I talk it up big time and give you a few pointers (please note my Lady Gaga paws … even I’m impressed):
Key styling tips
1. Keep in mind this is a minimalist look. White is the statement.
2. Work it back with a small flash of navy, black or tan. Definitely not gold accessories.
3. A red, coral or orange lipstick will look amazing with this look.
4. Select fabrics that skim the body or two-way stretch jeans like those by Not Your Daughter’s Jeans. White pants and VPL are never in style.
5. Key fashion piece: the white blazer. It will add instant lift and dress-up even the most casual outfit.
6. Re-think the look if you have small children, or “little monsters” as Lady Gaga would say, walking around with their paws ready to strike the moment you put on white.
More shopping suggestions
1. Suboo Caspian maxi kaftan @ Sequins & Sand $189 | 2. Floatsam Jetsam hat @ Mimco $79.95 | 3. Fiona Paxton Lila earrings @ HoneyHoney $149 | 4. Cypress jacket $299 @ Saba | 5. Nude Yarra wedge t-bar flat $149.95 @ Cherry Red | 6. Hammock & Vine washed linen side-tie jacket $179 @ Birdsnest | 7. Miss Muse heels in navy $219 @ PeepToe | 8. Wallis soft clutch $149 @ Saba