Everybody’s doing it, don’t you know?
Yesterday, I talked up the new minimalism of this season’s fashion offerings but today I’m all loud and proud.
The two very words that would have sent me cowering to the back of my tiny wardrobe two years ago, have me super excited in a “clashtastic” way (clashtastic being my new fave word I have borrowed from Styling You reader @evaiezzi … she may be able to tell you of its origins).
So what is colour blocking?
Key styling suggestions
1. Start with one bright colour that you LOVE. It’s going to be easy to pull together a colour-blocked outfit if it contains a colour that already gets you excited. And … this one bright colour may be all you need for starters.
2. If the thought of a brightly coloured dress, top or jacket has you shaking in your black winter boots, maybe start with a bright scarf and a handbag.
3. As I featured yesterday with Trenery’s red and tan approach to colour blocking, a more timeless way to embrace this look would be to pare one bright colour back with a tan, black or white.
4. Colour combinations I love: navy and orange; pink, red and black; watermelon, cobalt blue and yellow; tan and red; purple, teal and red; purple and pink.
5. Don’t forget that “clashtastic” lip and nail: think bright pink, orange or red.
1. Witchery drape neck shirt $139.95; pleated front maxi skirt $149.95 | 2. Sacha Drake Suki spliced tunic $219 | 3. Mimco floatsam jetsam sunhat $79.95 | 4. Samantha Wills high style ring $59 | 5. Sportsgirl Gaby satin wedge $99.95 | 6. Witchery colour block bangle $49.95 | 7. Sportsgirl stripe jersey tank dress $49.95 | 8. Metalicus Phar Lap pleated skirt $179.95 | 9. Saba jean jegging $129 | 10. Metalicus Phar Lap cropped jacket $259.95 | 11. Sacha Drake Lola dress $219
So, Stylers, put on your dark shades and amp up the colour in your wardrobe. Are you ready? Do you have a favourite bright colour?