A Chanel haute couture show is as far removed from my current life as it could possibly get; but when I saw the images come through this week, I had a re-think.
The Paris show introduced the fashion and celeb pack to the designer label’s haute couture autumn-winter 2011-12 collection. We’re talking the big guns of fashion here. Not the stuff you can go and buy in store. *Like I’ve clearly had an opportunity to do that before*.
And there like a glistening jewel on the catwalk of winter blacks and greys was this amazing fuchsia gown. I’m still transfixed by its colour … and detail.
The “pop” of colour in a sea of winter neutrals got me thinking. It really is possible to lift your outfit through the last half of winter and come out the other side in spring ready for the next season’s colour explosion.
Stick with me here.
New season (ie our spring-summer designs) are starting to arrive in store at a ridiculous time when some of you have had some of the most wintery winter weather possible. Rather than laugh out loud or crawl up in fetal position at the thought of season-inappropriate fashion, it dawned on me that ever there was a time to embrace a “trans-seasonal” look, it was now.
Key styling suggestions
1. Look in your wardrobe – or at the new arrivals landing in store – and pick out a vibrant colour that suits you.
2. Orange and hot pink are huge at the moment. And they’re being worn together. It’s called colour blocking. Dare you.
3. Take that coloured garment or accessory and use it as the focal point of your outfit.
4. Don’t discount a bright lippie or nail colour for having the same “uplifting” effect on not only your outfit but also your outlook.
5. As it does warm up, you’ve already got the makings of one of the hottest looks for spring. You’ll be so far ahead of the fashion game you’ll be in next season.
1. Dotti Lydia stripe shell top in melon/candy $49.95; Dotti Melon blazer $89.95; Dotti shorts $49.95
2. Witchery tank $29.95
3. Metalicus Saucer tee dress $219.95
5. Julia Denes earrings $490
6. Mimco Upcycle Peeptoe ballet $179
7. Country Road Elke print scarf $69.95
8. Trenery Juniper satchel $229
So, what do you think? Are you up for a adding a pop of colour to your dull and dreary winter wardrobe?