Don’t laugh. This was a valid reader question. Not just an attempt at self-justification re my desire to wear fancy PJs all
Long story short, trackies have come a long, long way. Actually, let me re-phrase that. There are still hideous trackies out there (I’m talking to you there with the parachute pants on) but there is a growing segment of the clothing market dedicated to loungewear … that you’ll actually be happy to wear.
Stuff you can wear while lounging around that still looks acceptable … you know, should Brad Pitt knock on the door. Stuff you can acceptably wear on the school drop off without someone cottoning on to the fact that you have in fact worn said outfit for the past 12 hours. In bed.
And how’s this for a lounge wear justification day? On July 1 it’s Tracky Dack Day – a day to pull on your trackies and be loud and proud about it, supporting kids in hospitals.
Key styling tips
1. This look is all about the layers. It’s the layering that adds to the whole outfit. Start with a pant (legging, palazzo, yoga or harem style) and add a top (fitted or tunic/floaty), cardi and scarf.
2. Choose pieces in fabrics that “embrace” you – modal, bamboo, cashmere, viscose. You want to feel the love when wearing lounge wear. It’s about luxe fabrics that breathe as well as the comfort.
3. When it comes to footwear, it is acceptable to wear an ugg boot. But please do not wear it outside the house. I also love a slipper, as long as it’s not Nana-ish. And don’t tell a soul but I love my bed socks too! (Yes, I suffer from cold feet as soon as the temperature dips below 20 degrees. True story)
2. Peter Alexander Frill Me Long Bed Socks $49.90
3. Deshabille Twighlight Cardi $139
4. Witchery Knit Zip Through Hoodie $99.95
5. Peter Alexander Leopard Scuff Slippers $35.90
8. Intimo Roll Top Pant $129.50
9. Finders Keepers The Label About A Face Jersey Top @ Birdsnest $79.95
11. Peter Alexander Red Bow Homeboot $109
12. SpencerLacy Jacquard Knit 3/4 Sleeve Spencer $59.95
So, ready for a weekend of lounging? I know I am. What’s your favourite way to lounge?