Men don’t get a lot about women and fashion.
High up on the list of what they don’t get is our need for a handbag – or two … hundred (actually, they do get it when they come out with us and want somewhere to stash their glasses, keys and wallet when they’ve run out of pockets but that’s another story).
Whenever I subtly raise the idea of needing a new handbag with Mr Styling You, he rolls his eyes so violently I’m (mildly) concerned that they may roll completely out. He starts to sprout meaningless waffle like “don’t you already have a handbag?” and “what about the six that are in your cupboard?”.
To which, I have always a considered response. This may have been one such response I used recently, “I’m doing day trips to Sydney and my current bag just does not fit enough in for a full day of events when I have to look beautiful and fresh”. Or this one: “Now that I have an iPad, I really need a bag that works both as a handbag but also an iPad carry case”. (That one may have been used as recently as last Friday when I got word that kikki.K was now stocking leather work bags … squeeee)
And then, just because it’s a change of fashion season, I’m just as likely to drop this one on him: “My current bag is just not the right colour for my winter wardrobe”. This one rarely gets me very far as he’s on to be straight away … there’s just as much black in my summer wardrobe as in my winter one.
But it might work for you.
Key styling tips
1. Just because it’s winter, doesn’t mean you have to go for a black bag. Don’t get me wrong, I love my black, it’s just that there are some fab colours out there and against a sea of charcoal and neutral clothing, a coloured bag will just pop – and get noticed!
2. Buy the best your budget can afford. A great handbag has fantastic detailing and hardware, it’s constructed beautifully and is a work of art – inside and out. I’m guilty of bashing my handbags around a bit but if it’s one that cost a bit more in the first place, it tends to survive the bashing.
3. Think about your lifestyle. Which you should do for any clothing purchase … but particularly so for a bag. What things do you actually have to carry around with you on a day-to-day basis? You want it to fit with room left over for extra additions. I also find I need external and internal pockets/compartments to easily locate lip gloss, phone and keys.
4. Forget matchy-matchy. You want your bag to complement your outfit and not perfectly match your shoes.
5. Have fun with your bag purchase. Like a hot pair of shoes or a striking necklace, it’s a chance to make a great fashion statement.
(Did you see my five-year-old sneaking a look in on the vlog? Too funny)
1. Betts Berkley Bag (was $59.99) now $39.99*
2. Mimco Mim Zip Top Bag $399
4. Belle Bijoux Giselle Bag $460
5. Nancy Bird Nolan Bag $365
6. Luisa Clare Love Tote $379
7. Saba Monique Shoulder Bag (was $249) $174.30*
8. Wayne Cooper Armour Hip Bag $149
9. Gypsy Caravan bag at Market HQ $109
10. Junior Drake Evanna Bag $298
Have you bought a new handbag recently? Got a handbag brand you love and would like to share with other Stylers? Leave a comment below.
* Sale prices were correct at time of publication