It’s been a long time between date nights in the Styling You household. What with Christmas and New Year parties and friends’ birthdays, the babysitting hours and budget have been absorbed elsewhere.
But last week I got an email from my husband with the subject line: “buckle your seatbelt” (yes, Mr Styling You is a BIG fan of Modern Family’s Phil Dunphy). He/Phil continued, “Prepared to be wooed my lady; you are coming to dinner with me on Saturday, 12th Feb.”
So, yep, we’re out this Saturday night to one of my fave restaurants, celebrating Valentine’s Day early. There will be yummy food, a good amount of wine and hopefully conversation that isn’t just about the kids.
And we’ll wonder why we don’t do this more often. Emma Merkas – the founder of website and blog, $30 Date Night will be nodding her head along with me too. Emma debunks the theory that it costs a motza to have date nights on a regular basis. Head over to her website for a tonne of suggestions that won’t break the budget but will definitely boost your love bank.
So once you’ve got that Valentine’s Day date night or lunch sorted, all thoughts should to turn to what to wear. I’m sorry, but if you’ve gone to an effort to book babysitters AND a restaurant, it’s time to get dressed up. No excuses.
It need not be something new but it should make you feel like a million bucks. I’ve taken the liberty of hunting down some suggestions that could work. Treat yourself or drop this gigantic hint in his inbox.
1. Sacha Drake Madison dress $339. I’ve seen this dress on all body shapes (including pregnant) and it looks stunning. Perfect for a balmy night out with flats.
2. Secrets Love Pendant $95. Says it all, really. And every purchase made at one of Secrets 22 stores in Australia and New Zealand from up to February 14th 2011 will go into the draw to win a year’s supply of flowers from Interflora, valued at over $1500.
3. I Heart You pochette, pink polka dot (Felix Rey) $155 at HoneyHoney. Is this the cutest little purse/clutch you’ve ever seen?
4. Renee Blackwell Design “D” Drop earrings in sterling silver and featuring red coral $75. I have these in black Onyx (also available in white pearl) and they always receive comments when I wear them.
5. Cristiana Love Heart bracelet $29.95. A simple love gift, featuring red beads and sterling silver charms, that you can wear every day.
6. PeepToe Miss Soho red patent heels $249. Nothing says sexy like a red stiletto.
7. Luisa Clare Love Petite bag $119. The new collection from Luisa Clare features love hearts in a number of its designs. I’m a sucker for anything with a heart on it so will probably pitch for the tote bag as well.
8. Oroton Belle Contour Bra $89.95 and brief $50. I do like nice lingerie. Not the tarty kind. The kind that always makes you feel a bit spesh. If hinting to your partner, you need to be very specific about your size and style you’d like. Their idea of sexy and yours my not be on the same page … or in the same store. #justsaying
9. Peter Alexander Ace of Heart shortie set $65. Something cute to wear the next morning that won’t freak the kids out as you have breakfast and read the papers together.
10. Karmebelles Love Signature ring $145. This is just one piece from the Karmebelles Love Collection. Each piece has the word love written on it in many other languages.
TOMORROW Valentine’s Day Part 2: beauty gifts to get you in the mood