These are my top 12 wardrobe style tips I’m always dishing out to anyone who cares to listen. Why not take ONE of them on board this week and let me know how you go.
1. Instead of folding your clothes, hang them so they’re in full view.
2. If you are renovating or building a new home, include walk-in robes in those plans. It’s easier to plan an outfit when you can see everything at one glance.
3. If you have limited space, use your wardrobe for that particular season only. Store the other season’s clothes in another bedroom or in Space bags in a storage cupboard.
4. Keep your jewellery with your clothes. It’s then easier to include pieces to add something extra to your outfit. Add at least one jewellery piece to your outfit as you run out the door.
5. Don’t buy on impulse. If you see something you want to buy, think about how it will work with what you already have in your wardrobe. That way you’ll always buy something you’ll actually wear.
6. Understand your own style – or get some good advice. That way you’ll only buy clothes that suit you.
7. Don’t keep things you have bought just because they were expensive. If you’re never going to wear it again, they definitely have to go.
8. Base your wardrobe on your lifestyle. If you work a 9-5 job then you need to buy clothes that are appropriate for work because that’s where you are spending most of your time. If you are mum on the move then you need clothes that are functional as well as stylish.
9. A stable of basics is a must. A little black dress, great pair of jeans, white shirt, black jacket or trench and ballet flats are essentials.
10. Be organised. You will be able to store more in your wardrobe if you keep things neat.
11. Group your wardrobe items together in themes – colours, clothing type etc. That way you are not searching constantly for that white top or black skirt.
12. Take time out at least twice a year (when the season changes) to sort through and re-organise your wardrobe.