Sponsored by Motto
Here at Styling You I’m all about giving you tips for how to get smarter about what clothes you buy because I truly want you to LOVE every piece that is in your wardrobe.
This is the key to always having something to wear that makes you feel your most comfortable and confident. This simple formula for confidence may appear superficial to some but, to most of us, our clothes provide a daily armour for getting up and getting on with whatever life is throwing at us.
I’m also a big believer of making the most of what’s in your existing wardrobe of fabulousness. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing something over and over again if it works for you and makes you feel all kinds of amazing. In fact, I encourage it.
And when it comes to buying new pieces to work back with your existing wardrobe, I like you to put on your woo-woo hat and get a bit mindful about what you’re buying.
Taking a deep breath before you add to cart or hand over your hard-earned cash is part of that mindfulness but crucial to the success of that purchase is knowing that that clothing piece or pieces will work with what you already own – and your lifestyle.
This time of year, when we’re being seduced by ALL the things, our minds might be on clothing pieces for Christmas parties but, in reality, we need clothes that will work for us long after the decorations have been put away.
Read on for my smarter-shopping tips.
Plus, I’ve also got some great dress-up/dress-down options from Australian label, Motto. You could win your pick of one of the featured hero pieces. There are five prizes up for grabs.
5 tips for how to get smarter about what clothes you buy
1. Think … does it fit, flatter and fabulous you? Oh, I know that fabulous is not a verb but you get the gist. You should look at it and know that it’s going to send your confidence into the stratosphere.
2. If it’s a separate piece, do you have more than one option to wear back with it in your wardrobe? I used to be so guilty of buying ALL the sparkly, printed and colour tops but had zero bottoms to wear with them. So, because I’m not a fan of heading out just in my undies, they’d stay hanging in my wardrobe, teasing me with all the fun I could have had with them, had I concentrated on finding a good pair of jeans.
3. Before buying, think of at least two occasions or types of days on which you’d wear that piece. I’m a diehard outfit planner but you don’t have to be to make this tip work for you. Think of it like you’re taking out an insurance policy on that purchase. Thinking of the first time you’ll wear a piece is usually pretty easy. It’s the second and third times that might have you scratching your head but it’s those times that will cement in your mind that the purchase is indeed a very good one.
4. Spend more money on the types of pieces you wear more often. Think about it, if you wear smart casual clothes or work/office clothes most days of the week, you really need to spend more on those pieces so they wash well and serve you time and again.
5. Buy more pieces that come with dress-up/dress-down super powers. You might need a festive or party outfit this month but think about whether that outfit can be transformed into an everyday or casual outfit and serve you throughout summer and beyond?
5 heroes; 10 different outfits
Together, with Motto, I’ve taken the dress-up/dress-down concept for festive dressing and below I’m showing you how to take a hero piece and transform the look from party to smart casual, using different separates pieces.
Hero piece: black and white chiffon layer cami (I’m in size 14)
Hero piece: blue luxury cotton ankle jean (size 14)
Dress up (left): black jersey shaper tube skirt (size 14)
Dress down (right): Sophie dark denim lace insert jean (size 12)
Dress up (left): ivory crepe ring culotte (size 14)
Dress down (right): Sophie chambray denim raw hem jeans (size 12)
Hero: stripe luxury cotton ankle jean (size 14)
Dress down (right): tangello nano trinity top (size 12)
The unsung hero foundation pieces
The flagged hero pieces above are what I call show-pony pieces. They’re the fun garments that make a statement in an outfit and give your basics a fresh look.
But I want to give a big shout-out to the unsung heroes in the outfits above because, without them, there is no outfit.
What I love about Motto is that they back up their show ponies with fabulous basics in quality fabrics that wash and wear so well. Motto has long offered jersey basics. This year I’ve fallen hard for the brand’s denim range and the new summer luxury fabric collection.
The Sophie jean (in all its varieties) is incredibly comfortable to wear and flattering on. Many of the styles have been reduced, so do yourself and your legs a favour.
The summer luxury fabric collection features camis, jackets and tops made from a lightweight nano polyester – a high quality fabrication that is designed to mimic the look and feel of cotton but, with the added benefit of longevity, it will hold colour and shape brilliantly. The fibres are also woven in a new way that allows the garment to breathe naturally.
These kinds of technical fabrics are a win-win in my wardrobe, particularly when I’m travelling. They feel SO incredible on too.
Get excited. Motto has a prize to give away to five Styling You readers. Each winner will receive their favourite hero piece from the five featured above. Follow the steps below to enter.
- Head over to Motto HERE. Fill in the form.
- Once filled in, you’ll be directed back here to answer this question in the comments below: Which Motto hero piece/s do you love from the five featured outfits above and how would you style it/them?
Entries open on Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 5am (AEST) and close on Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 5pm (AEST). Australian entries only, sorry. The five winners of the “answer the question” competition will be judged on originality and creativity. Both steps of the competition need to be fulfilled to be judged a winner. The winner will be emailed and their name will be published here. Entrants must include an email address when the filling in the commenting system below to be eligible to enter. Full terms and conditions here.