It was a public holiday here in Brisbane yesterday and we took advantage of the non-winter temperatures and headed to the beach for the day.
Yes, the nights may still be on the chilly side but spring is very much on its way.
In fashion terms, I’m already gearing up for the season ahead with shoots for new-season pieces booked and my regular Model and Me posts taking a decided turn towards warmer weather options.
The big department stores and your favourite chain stores and independents have started flaunting all things new and spring-like, so I thought I’d give you a bit of a road map for the season ahead.
I’ve listed some of the hottest spring summer 2016 fashion trends below – not because I think you should slavishly follow each – or any – of them but because trends can help us to look at our existing wardrobe style a little differently.
When we take stock and look at what we already wear – or what we wore last spring summer – then we can look at ways to freshen up those looks.
I never advocate wholesale change but I do subscribe to the theory that a small change can uplift an entire wardrobe situation.
When that change comes from buying a new, on-trend accessory or clothing piece, then it has the effect of modernising your whole look.
The good news is that there is a trend for everyone. Not all will suit all people but there will be one or two that speak to your personal style.
They are the ones that you should seek out and embrace and are the key to staying true to your own style but just giving that style a fresh edge.
10 hottest spring summer 2016 fashion trends
1. Off the shoulder anything. Or OTS for short. Many of us got the shoulders out last summer, myself very much included, and we will be doing it again this spring-summer. The only ongoing challenge is finding a strapless bra that is bearable to wear. I address that here.
Pictured: Seed OTS dress $99.95
2. Shades of blue. From navy to sky blue and all hues in between, this fresh colour is the colour of the season.
Pictured: Witchery shirt $119.95
3. Modern lace. Lace’s modern look is still feminine but is more geometric and structured than a traditional lace.
Pictured: Country Road top $139
4. Metallics. There is rarely a season these days without metallics and this makes this natural-born magpie extremely happy.
Pictured: Country Road jacket $229
5. ’70s retro prints. The obsession with all things ’70s continues. Embrace it this spring-summer with modern takes on retro graphic prints.
Pictured: Katies tunic $59.95
6. Boudoir dressing. If you can pull of this look, go for it. Think silk slip with spaghetti straps but worn away from the bedroom.
Pictured: Seed dress $149.95
7. Sneakers. The sneaker is firmly in place on our feet all year round and not just with activewear. White or metallic sneakers are kings of the kicks this season.
Pictured: FRANKiE4 Footwear sneakers $229.95
8. Block heels. Embraced last summer, this revisited ’70s and ’90s trend continues. Yay for comfort and style, I say.
Pictured: Trenery heels $199
9. Statement earrings. Let your ears do the accessory talking. A shoulder-dusting earring will certainly set off any look but particularly the OTS trend.
Pictured: Camilla earrings $249
10. Backpacks. Another ’90s trend revisited. Chiro-and-physio-approved, this is the bag we’ll see on more backs this season.
Pictured: Witchery backpack $129.95
So tell me, is spring on your mind? See any trends you’d happily trot out for the new season?