Shaking up – or unlocking – your style is a way to help you feel good about yourself.
It’s an outside-in mentality for me. If I’m feeling good about what I’ve dressed myself in, then my mood in generally better and I’m more motivated to do whatever the day has planned for me.
This philosophy is not for everyone but, having worked with more than 150 women one-on-one, answered so many style questions on the blog and received hundreds of emails from women who have been helped by this way of thinking, I say it’s worth trying.
You don’t have to do all – or any – of the 35 ways to shake up your style in 2016 below but my suggestion to you is that you pick the five things that really “speak” to you right now and make small steps to freshen up your style in 2016.
35 ways to shake up your style in 2016
1. Get a new hairstyle.
2. Switch up your hair colour. .
4. Switch out your hair products if they no longer work on your hair.
5. Clean out your makeup kit and create an edited kit of the things you use every day.
6. Get a makeup tutorial and learn a new way to apply your eye makeup.
7. Book in for a brow shape up.
8. Treat yourself to a new lip colour.
9. Get colour matched for your foundation.
10. Find a new signature fragrance.
11. Commit to regular facials if your budget allows.
12. Be consistent with your home skin care routine.
13. Always wear sunscreen. The pay off will come over time.
14. Edit your wardrobe – only leave hanging what makes you feel fabulous.
15. Plan what you’re going to wear each day.
16. Take daily photos of your outfits and save to a folder on your phone.
17. Take note of how you feel wearing each of those outfits.
18. Take time to browse your favourite stores – online or in person.
19. Buy or try something on you normally wouldn’t.
20. Rediscover your accessory collection. Wear at least one piece each day.
21. Buy one new bold accessory.
22. Buy one new fine accessory.
23. Change up your everyday bag.
24. Commit to spending more on the types of shoes you wear more often.
25. Buy at least one pair of shoes that makes you smile just by looking at them.
26. Embrace minimalism in fashion.
27. Embrace a riot of colour and pattern.
28. Surprise by mixing up what you embrace.
29. Break the so-called fashion rules.
32. Wear black in summer.
33. Be inspired by the real women of #everydaystyle.
34. Dress for yourself.
35. Dress to feel nothing short of fabulous.
Ok, so spill … which five things have you chosen to concentrate on? What small changes will you make in 2016?
Want to start from the beginning? My book – Unlock Your Style – is just the place. Shameless but helpful plug!