It’s no secret around these parts that I love a kaftan.
This wasn’t always the case but the silk kaftan has become my go-to summer dress-up option.
There are a few reasons for this:
1. It gets mighty hot wear I live so having fancy clothes that are fitted and stick to your body is just not a nice way to spend an afternoon or evening out.
2. There’s a high comfort factor that comes with a high glam factor when those kaftans are made of silk and embellished with sequins and/or beading.
3. If you’re invited to a beach wedding or party, a silk kaftan in any length is an ideal dress option. You’ll feel dressed up but appropriate for the venue.
4. A kaftan is a timeless piece. You can buy one now knowing you’ll be able to trot it out for many summers to come.
Most probably the most famous kaftan label in Australia is Camilla (not that Camilla only retails in Australia – the US is one of the label’s biggest markets). These kaftans are certainly not everyday purchases.
I’ve invested in two in the past – one last spring to celebrate finishing my book; the other picked up on sale online as part of a Camilla archive sale earlier this year.
This year, I’m so grateful to have been gifted the below kaftan from Zambezee Boutique on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast. It as already made a very glamorous debut at Qualia Resort on Hamilton Island and they will be worn A LOT this spring-summer.
Camilla Awakened Utopia Short Sheer Kaftan $449 @ Zambezee Boutique
The most obvious difference between the model and me in this garment is the length. I think this is something to take note of with a lot of garments on models if you are not a tall person. As an average-height person, this ends up being much longer and much more acceptable length for me.
I wasn’t sure about the front-tie at first but it is something that works to lightly gather the fabric to create a hint of shape without losing the kaftan feel of the garment.
I also love the sleeve length and style. For a casual look I’m never really conscious of my arms but for a dressy occasion, I’m not as confident in getting them out there. This is the best of both worlds – a light fabric in a flowing, half-sleeve.
The prints and the colours are spectacular – especially when combined with the beading. As with all my kaftans, I wear a fitted, stretch slip underneath and in this photo I’m wearing a black Metalicus seamless slip. The slip is generally needed because the fabric is sheer but this is also a good thing because the slip is seen underneath and helps create shape to your kaftan outfit. And in cases where the kaftan is shorter than you’d otherwise prefer, then the slip can help add that little bit of length.
If I weren’t poolside and dining in – as I was the evening this photo was taken – I’d either add in a pair of black or nude sandals or heels to complete the look.
The silk is AMAZING to wear. So light and breathable on your skin. It will crush a little when travelling but not so much that I thought I needed to do something about it!
Other shopping options
There are many options when it come to hunting down and finding a glam kaftan for your summer wardrobe. Here are some more suggestions for you to consider.
1. Talisman Mystic silk kaftan $289 @ Sequins and Sand | 2. iAllure Lady Camouflage – Enchantment kaftan $99 (available in mini, short and maxi lengths) | 3. Kaftan Connection Silk Rose kaftan $230 | 4. Blue Bungalow kaftan $79
More beach and poolside resort wear options
What say you to a glamorous kaftan for a summer special occasion?
* These pieces were gifted to me for editorial consideration. Full disclosure policy here.