Queensland is currently experiencing a cold snap.
I know, I know. Everything is relative. Especially when the mornings look something like this …
The thing is it CAN get cold here overnight … down to single digits and below freezing in some parts but we can then generally warm up our toes to a glorious 20 degrees. Basically if you can find a spot out of the wind and in the sun then you’re set.
Mind you, working inside a house designed to keep cool in summer means that I’m often sitting in my ugg boots with a hot water bottle in my lap while hammering away at the keyboard. It’s the only time of year that I actually enthusiastically embrace hanging out washing in the middle of my work day. Because I can warm up.
All this temperature dipping is starting to do things to my skin I’d prefer didn’t get done.
Remember this post about changing your skincare routine for winter? I’m heeding all my own advice but with a few new bathroom beauty products thrown in for some body and face TLC.
My aim this year is to not arrive at September and fall over in shock at the state of my skin.
Down with scaliness; maintain the glow, I say.
1. The Body Shop Japanese Cherry Blossom Shower Gel ($20.95): Let’s just say that the novelty of having a working shower in the house has not worn off. In my head while cleansing my body, I am in a garden in Kyoto sipping on jasmine-infused green tea. In reality, I’m cleansing off the day with a soap-free product and smelling lovely and fresh.
2. Lanolips Lovely Lanolin Herbal Treatment Body Oil ($18.95): Ok, the trick to locking in moisture post shower? Only pat off the excess water from your shower and quickly slather on some hydrating goodness. A body oil such as this smells amazing and penetrates your skin for luxe moisturising even if you’re going to immediately throw on a pair of jeans and a knit.
3. Luminesce Youth Restoring Cleanser ($49.45): Wishful thinking on my part that I’ll come out the other side of winter looking 10 years younger but this cleanser, which comes from a line of products which use stem-cell technology to slow down the appearance of ageing, is formulated to hydrate while it cleansers. You can actually feel this in the foaming gel as you apply it to your face.
4. The Jojoba Company 100% Natural Ultimate Jojoba Youth Potion ($39.95): You already know I’m a big fan of giving your skin a boost with a serum, right? Jojoba oil has a similar molecular structure to the oils in our skin, well our skin when we were younger. What’s that mean to you? This works effectively on contact as the cocktail of antioxidants, Omega 6 and 9 fatty acids, and Vitamins A, D and E gets absorbed immediately.
5. Foreo Luna ($249): Mr SY wondered just what this little device was when I opened the package. Told him it was a vibrator … for my face. Which it kind of is. I’m no stranger to putting pulsating instruments on my face. Since falling for the Clarisonic Mia more than 18 months ago, it has not been enough for me to just cleanse my face. I’m addicted to combining that cleansing with a helping hand – it means that your cleanser works more effectively and your skin is refreshed daily. I can feel it. Apart from looking different from a Clarisonic, the Foreo is smaller (good for travel) and the brush heads don’t need changing after they’ve been used too much. Foreo says that the effectiveness of the cleanse is greater with its soft, silicone brush. I’d say that the result is about the same. Well, it has been on my skin and I can only go on how it feels as the SY Institute doesn’t have microscopes. The battery power and time between re-charges is definitely better. If you’re in the market for a facial cleansing system then I’d definitely suggest you look at this one too.
Tell me, do you plan to glow your way through winter? Or cover up like a celeb and embrace this crazy fashion trend?