Hello December. How did you get here? And what did you do with the last 11 months?
As talk turns to end-of-school (last lunch being packed today in this house), Christmas and holidays, my beauty needs and wants have also taken on a year-end attitude.
I’m looking for things that keep me calm, brighten up my eyes, keep my lips moist and flake free, prepare me for a spray tan and help protect my best assets – my teeth and hair.
And in this month’s beauty bag, I’ve found them.
1. Jane Iredale Just Kissed in Forever Pink $54: Got to be mistletoe ready, haven’t I? Of course the only person I’ll be kissing (especially since the Movember mo has gone) is my husband but I think he’ll be impressed with this one. It’s a natural plumper thanks to a time-released peptide, spearmint, peppermint oils and ginger root extract. It’s like a balm with a lovely pinky tint that you can wear on its own or layer under lip colour, safe in the knowledge that your colour won’t feather.
2. Lash Control Purple Squeeze mascara $35: I’d heard about this mascara from a lovely Twitter follower only to meet – the very next day – the woman who is importing it and selling it from her website in Australia. Serendipity? I think yes. So, what’s the big deal? See that purple bit in the middle of the mascara tube? That’s the squeezey bit. You squeeze that to regulate the amount of mascara you want on your brush – as it’s coming out. The purple tube (there are blue, pink and clear ones as well) has a volumising brush with a formula that lengthens and conditions. And I can vouch for that.
3. Morgan Annie lip scrub in vanilla $24.95: I get dry, flakey lips really easily. And this despite never leaving them lip balm, gloss or lipstick-free for even a second. Here’s my currently, very yummy solution from Australian natural beauty company, Morgan Annie. This scrub is made from organic raw sugar and a cocktail of rice bran oil, macadamia oil, shea butter, jojoba oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil and carnauba wax. I just rub it into my lips until the sugar dissolves. It leaves them lip-smackingly amazing and ready for that Jane Iredale plumper above. You might like the other flavours: latte and chocolate truffle.
4. Ere Perez Amazing Arnica Concealer Duo $32: Arnica has long been used on bruises, sprains, blemishes and inflamed skin conditions and now my under eyes are pretty damn excited to find it incorporated into a concealer. There are four colour duos to choose from, depending on your skin shade and you use both sides of the duo blended to create the perfect match for your eye area. It’s a paste-like consistency that has staying power, which I like.
5. Sensodyne Repair and Protect $9.99: I’ve been a Sensodyne fan for years now – I may not have any fillings but I do have sensitive pearly whites. This is a new addition to the Sensodyne range and it works with the natural components of your teeth to help repair the tiny holes in the tooth’s surface that cause sensitivity. It’s all thanks to what Sensodyne has called Novamin technology, which works to form a tooth-like layer on the tooth’s surface. Pretty clever, hey? Someone pass me that tub of Maggie Beer’s burnt fig ice cream. I’m going in.
6. Be Genki Serenity Face Mist $26: Let’s just say I’ve been spritzing this so much it feels like I’m showering in it. Just having it on my desk is a reminder to slow down and smell the … rosewood (and the bergamot, palmarosa, neroli and rose otto essential oils). It’s hydrating as well which is great in this heat. And if you work in aircon, I’d spritz on the hour!
7. TanGO Tan Removal Glove $29.95: I’ve got two spray tans booked before now and Christmas. One this morning and one in two week’s time. This glove will make it easy before the second one to ensure the remnants of today’s tan are all gone. The fabric weave gently “pulls” the tanning pigment away from the skin. You don’t need to use any other products with it – just wet it, squeeze it and start rubbing. For the occasional tanner like me (I don’t usually go fortnightly) I’ll get up to two years out of the glove before needing to replace it. If you’re weekly tanner then you’ll probably get three-six months.
8. Original & Mineral Seven Day Miracle Moisture Masque $32: This product, together with the Original & Mineral TLC Blonde Silver Shampoo ($25.95) will see me through the summer beach season with my colour and hair condition in tact. The TLC blonde is a dark purple colour, designed to brighten dull and brassy gold tones between salon visits. I swear my hair does a little happy dance every time I massage these paraben and sulphate-free products through it. They are that good.
That’s my beauty bag for this month. I’d love to know what’s in your’s? What have you found that you think we should all know about? Or tell me about a beauty product that’s been in your bag or cabinet for months now? One that you keep coming back to time and again?