Sometimes you just have to step away from your blog to see the bigger picture.
That was my week. It was only three days but it was enough of a break to realise that the world won’t fall down if you need to stop and chill, which is what I did when Mrs Woog and the Woogettes came to stay.
Ironically, it was also the week that the November edition of Marie Claire hit the stands, with a feature article about overseas bloggers who are making it big. HUGE. Me, I was excited just to be featured alongside amazing bloggers, Sassybella and Drop Dead Gorgeous Daily as examples of Australian bloggers whose sites are “on the rise”.
So, what else did I learn on my bloggie break?
1. That people don’t like change. Specifically change to their social network set-ups. I don’t know about you though, but if Facebook is sending in Don Draper to sell its new Timeline profiles, then bring on the change. And more of Don. (It looks like YouTube has pulled the video, sorry!)
2. Brands getting into bed with bloggers is still hot blog post fodder. This post from communications consultant and blogger Lisa Lintern is seriously one of the most level-headed I’ve seen written. If you’re a brand, a PR consultant or a blogger, it’s a must read.
3. Still on that theme, mummy blogger Lina Nguyen guest posted on ProBlogger this week profiling travel bloggers Craig Makepeace and Caz Makepeace and the couple’s ability to attract blog sponsorship from a major brand.
4. I was asked my opinion about asking for payment when requested to write about a charity or cause on my blog. The post over at Brand Meets Blog is definitely food for thought. Personally, I think it comes down to going with causes close to your heart. Then it’s a no brainer as money really doesn’t come into it.
5. And because I didn’t stop using Instagram on my break, when I found out via Fat Mum Slim that I could get my favourites made into all sorts of fun things – including magnets, I may have got a little too excited. #geekalert
What have you learned about blogging and the interwebs this week that you’d like to share? If you blog, do you plan regular breaks?