Last Friday officially signalled the start of the spring-summer party season for me. The occasion was the Wishlist Spring Carnival Gala, for which I sit on the organising committee. The fact that the committee is dominated by women means that by July meetings often go off the agenda into to the “what to wear?” question.
Now when you’re on the organising committee for such a huge and glam event – and you’re a stylist – the pressure is well and truly on.
So, I do what I do best. I outfit plan. As you do.
(See what I have to say about this on today’s vlog … where I’m showing off my best school holidays glam. Not.)
Key styling tips
1. Start with the dress. Or the pants/top outfit. But preferably a dress. Last year I wore a gorgeous black EP by Easton Pearson dress. This year I just had to break out the colour. Once I laid eyes on the Xian Sacha Drake kaftan, I knew she’d be perfect. I bought a similar slip and kaftan style from Sacha Drake last year, which has been on high rotation ever since and even went to Bali with a friend recently. Xian will be coming out to party with me a lot this summer too. A good party frock purchase doesn’t like hiding away in your wardrobe. She likes to come out to play. Often.
2. Once I had the dress I thought about the accessories. I could have gone the whole colour block thing but decided I’d let the dress do the talking (I did colour block my hands with CND Shellac in Tropix on my nails and a turquoise Samantha Wills ring). I opted not to have a hat made this year, instead buying a gorgeous 15cm wide silk flower, for my hair. I already had the Sophie Kyron giant “pearl” earrings and a Mimco shoulder bag from last year. I worked these back with my new Zizi for Florsheim Giselle nude peep toe shoes and a silver cuff from Adorne, which I picked up for $15.
3. I made sure I packed some flats to change into. As much as the Giselles were the most comfortable heels I’ve ever worn, I felt the need to get a little more “grounded” as the afternoon went on and “evolved” into the after party.
4. I thought ahead on the beauty side of things too. A spray tan was booked for two days before. And my hairdresser was booked for the morning of the event. I did my own makeup using the new Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation, which I raved about on the blog last week. It certainly went the distance.
1. Sacha Drake Xian kaftan $449 | 2. Samantha Wills Isle of Capri ring $75 | 3. Eve Boutique large ivory silk hair flower $125 | 4. Mimco Hybrid clutch $199 | 5. Zizi for Florsheim Giselle heel $199.95
Do you have a special occasion already on the calendar for spring? Have you started thinking ahead as to what you would like to wear? Do you have something – an accessory or pair of shoes – already in your wardrobe that would work?