Buying a pair of jeans is just as likely to illicit a response similar to that of shopping for swimwear. And by response, I mean a feeling of intense dislike, the kind of feeling best expressed via a non-ladylike audible groaning.
It’s the very thought of jeans shopping that sees us putting up with – and wearing – jeans that do absolutely nothing for our body shape. We’ll put up with jeans that are way too tight; or way to baggy and saggy just to avoid the process of shopping for more.
But because we’re not all blessed with the Duchess of Cambridge’s petite loveliness, I’m here to tell you that you need to bite the bullet and invest some time in finding a pair that fits and flatters. It’s a wardrobe essential. You hear me?
Key styling suggestions
1. Jeans need to fit snuggly. And by snuggly, I mean super tight at first try on. They will stretch as your body heats up the fabric and it expands. If you can get two fingers in the waistband, then they are going to be too big within hours. Not a pretty look.
2. Not all women are created equally. Especially so when it comes to the shape of their bottoms, hips, thighs and tummies. You might have a flat butt but wide hips; your bum may be bootilicious but your waist super tiny. Don’t be harsh on yourself. Accept this is your shape. You CAN find a pair of jeans to suit.
3. NYDJ jeans are perfect for women who are wanting jeans to suck them in and still retain the comfort factor of a pair of trackies. Umm, that would be me!
4. Also Check out the Levis Curve ID, Bettina Liano O and Jeanswest’s Curve Embracer collections for fashion jeans that accommodate curves and work to minimise the gape at the back of your jeans that happens in regular jeans if your waist is smaller than your butt.
5. Shop at a jeans’ specialist outlet. Staff are trained to fit jeans on their customers and they have a comprehensive range in store to help you find a pair that is a match made in denim heaven.
2. Not Your Daughter’s Jeans Marilyn straight jeans @ Birds Nest $199
3. Levis Bold Curve skinny rinse jeans @ Just Jeans $119.95
It’s Jeans for Genes Day next Friday, so you’ve got a week to get shopping and wear your jeans with pride. My blogging friend, Kelly over at Be a Fun Mum, is hosting a Jeans for Genes Day promotion that could win you a $250 JeansWest voucher. Head on over and enter. It closes tomorrow.
Have you found a dream pair of jeans to suit your body shape? Spill. I want all the details of your quest to find the Holy Grail of denim.