Not sure what’s come over me … two posts in one week talking colours usually associated with Nanas. On Tuesday it was all about coral lips and on the back of Mrs David Beckham looking resplendent in navy at the Royal wedding, I just couldn’t help myself.
Navy is SO the new black. Well, I made that bit up. Navy has always been around but more often seen in a school uniform or corporate land.
In the last couple of fashion seasons, however, it’s been on my fashion radar for a number of reasons, not least being the fact that it’s almost black (and I do LOVE my black). The bonus: a gorgeous navy or “midnight” colour can be a whole lot more forgiving on your complexion. Definitely worth a try.
Key styling tips
1. It’s ok to team navy with black. I love a patent black shoe with navy for evening wear.
2. Love, love, love working navy back with a nude shoe. That whole leg lengthening thing just works beautifully with a navy frock.
3. Avoid the whole red, white and navy look … unless you are spending the weekend on a luxury yacht or in the French Rivera. In which case, do whatever you please and have a champers – or six – for me.
2. Oroton Henrosa tote $495
3. City Chic Embellished shoulder tunic $79.95
4. Witchery Flower Applique wrap cuff $59.95
5. Country Road Motif Print scarf $69.95
6. JAG Tab Detail knit $89.95 @ Birdsnest
7. Sambag navy patent ballet flats $175
9. PeepToe Shoes Miss Buckingham $249
What do you think of navy? Is it a colour you have in your wardrobe?
So excited to find out that this post has been selected for the Independent Fashion Bloggers Links a la Mode weekly roundup for May 19. Read on for some other fab fashion blogging posts.
Your Blogs Perfect Accessory: Brilliant Pictures
Edited by Denimology
As I was selecting my posts for this weeks Links A La Mode, I realized how important it is to have attractive and original images in your posts. I noticed that I would open a post and close it promptly if the images looked rather….. what’s the word… meh.
Here is how to have your blog posts chosen by me [Denimology] for LALM:
- Images Are The Main Course — A great image will draw in your reader. The image might be beautiful, odd, heartwarming, instructive or just curiosity-provoking, so long as it keeps the reader wanting to read your post.
- Don’t Forget To Use an Image — It’s better to use a generic image than no image at all but ultimately your image should represent what the subject of your post is about.
- High Quality Images Are Best — We’ve all heard the saying “Pictures speak a thousand words”, but in the blogging world they speak even more. Adding HQ pictures to a blog post will visually stimulate your readers and help them identify with you, the writer.
- Resize Your Images — While images can make your blog looked polished and professional, having images that hang over into the margins or that are cut off is sloppy blogging.
Links à la Mode: May 19th
- And She Loved: How to DIY more– list of resources for DIY projects and ideas
- Beautifully Invisible: 5 Things Jack Sparrow Taught Me About Fashion & Makeup
- bestofbklyn: Summer getaway essentials
- Beyond Fabric: Incorporating ethnic pieces into your attire
- Chic ‘n Cheap Living: Wardrobe staple: Trouser jeans
- Denimology: Denimology’s 5th Anniversary ‘Free Jeans Every Day In May’ Denim Giveaway Want free jeans? We have Lots to give away!
- fashionablynumb: Angel Garcia The Label Whore. People who get carried away with labels and logos.
- For Those About to Shop: 10 great designer quotations
- ggfashionista: A tutorial in how to achieve a chic headband look with a scarf
- IFB: New IFB Feature — Twitter/Livestream Chat
- Kirstin Marie: A shopaholic’s tips
- Mary Jane Girl: Kristen Leotsakou Interior design: do’s, don’ts and must have items
- My Favorite Fashion: Victoria Vintage Vision: how & why vintage fashion has become so popular
- Rose tinted uncertainty: Rhona Nolan – Should we pick one look or reserve our right to be polystylish???
- Sample Sale Sites: Jeans Make A Difference – Denim Unites For Peace
- Speak2Ashley: Style lessons from French women, the French way
- StyleSizzle: How to build a better wardrobe
- Styling You: Why the colour navy is so Posh
- Stylish Thought: Are you a Savage Blogger?
- TheStylishButterfly: Confessions of a new blogger: High fashion vs. real fashion
- ThisIsAYes: Summer Ready? – from less Makeup to more Sailing, Mint Green Dresses, more Maxi Skirts and Round Sunglasses
- truequeen: 11 Ways to Revamp Your Dresser