I’ve tried to stop myself from thinking about all things winter fashion but for the reasons I outlined here last month, no amount of sweat pooling where sweat should never pool is going to stop that.
I can’t help it. I need to make a list. The shopping seasons they are a changing. And I don’t want to miss out.
Winter is such a short season where I live so my sensible streak does thankfully prevail. I tend to concentrate on buying items that will last more than one season. I want investment pieces that I can wear most days. I want pieces that give my existing wardrobe a lift and that can be layered up in the morning and peeled off as the day heats up.
In short, I actually do what I should do all year round: shop with intent and with a plan.
My autumn-winter 2011 wishlist
1. Silk or soft cotton boyfriend-style shirt. This style of shirt is everywhere this season. The fabrication is important – it needs to drape and flow for full effect. This one’s from Trenery and it’s made from 100% modal. That’s a big tick on the easy care too.
2. Scarves are still huge and seriously the easiest way to give a winter outfit a lift. Loving the stripes in this one in super-washed merino wool from Witchery.
3. If a scarf is your winter accessory staple, then keep the focus around your face with these stunning Uberkate Infinity earrings.
4. Metalicus is my friend in the wardrobe summer and winter. This top could be worn as is now but layered under a long-sleeve top as it cools down. Perfect for wearing with jeans or the maxi below.
5. You know how I live in my NYDJ pants? Well, these babies are next on my list. They’re seriously the only skinny leg cargo that is coming near my legs (come to think about it, they’re probably the only ones that would fit over my legs). They are super comfy and on trend. If you don’t love your thighs so much, then layer that long shirt over the top. To track down your nearest stockist, ph 02 8332 1900.
6. My black ballet flats were sacrificed last year to the mud bath that was Powderfinger’s farewell concert on the Sunshine Coast. I’m contemplating black loafers as a replacement. I know, I know … it’s the ’90s all over again but I’m loving the narrow style of these from Sambag. I really love the patent black version but it’s sold out online (you’ll have to hunt down a stockist for those).
7. I’m doing my second day trip for the year to Sydney next week and a tote bag is so what’s needed to get me through from early morning to night. It needs to fit my makeup kit and a pair of flats with room to spare for an iPad (also on my winter fashion wishlist). I’m thinking this Oroton baby would do the trick.
8. Late last year I answered Mrs Woog’s maxi skirt style challenge and for all those who went out and purchased the Mrs Woog magic skirt, you’ll be pleased to know that you can keep on wearing it through winter. I didn’t get one at the time but have my eye on this one – a winter version of Mrs Woog’s from Country Road.
Message to my husband: should you stumble across this post, the above list is a purely hypothetical and virtual one. No credit cards have been melted in the making of said list … yet.