Ok, so yesterday we talked about what to wear on your Valentine’s date night/lunch. You all took note, didn’t you? That includes you up the back row poo-pooing February 14 as another day that fosters rampaging consumerism?
I’m sorry if you think it’s all a bunch of hoo-hah and that we should really celebrate the love in our life EVERY day. I do too. I just think that Valentine’s Day is a concrete date to do something about it.
If you’re single, it’s the ideal time of year to actually focus on you. Why not book a date with yourself? Head off to a spa, a champage lunch with girlfriends or a shopping spree dedicated just to you. I wish I’d been more into that the many, many years I watched Valentine’s Day pass with nary a dodgy red rose surrounded by baby’s breath heading my way.
If you’re in a relationship and you’re looking for a little “help” to get you in the … well, mood, then stick around, have I got some ideas for you?
1. Moët & Chandon Rosé Impérial gift set $130. It’s pink, it’s French, there are bubbles inside and a pen to personalise the gift. What’s not to get you in the mood? Available at David Jones.
2. Sodashi Chakra Balance 4: Love $55. Apply two drops to the Heart Chakra (there’s a diagram included to get it right) to help cultivate feelings of love, both for ourselves and towards others. As with all Sodashi products, this is made from the highest quality plant extracts and essences. And you’ll have a whole lot of fun pin-pointing your chakra!
3. Booty Parlour Don’t Stop Massage Oil $29.95. This brand is well known in the US for its range of sensual beauty products – and now it’s available online in Australia. Apparently celebs such as Blake Lively and Brooke Shields like a bit of Booty. This massage oil has silky texture and a seductive fragrance that blends plums, raspberries, jasmine, sandalwood and cedar. Dessert, anyone?
4. Twenty8 Romance & Intimacy Synergy Blend $34.95. Add this blend of organic Ylang Ylang, Patchouli, Rosewood, Sandalwood and Sweet Orange essential oils to a massage carrier oil or vapouriser and you’ll immediately start doing a Barry White swoon.
Beauty-ful gift ideas
And to complete the Valentine’s Day picture … splash out for yourself or send this link as an email for these not-so-subtle beauty and fragrance gift hints.
According to Sarah Heska, The Perfume Connection’s resident “perfumologist”, giving fragrances for special occasions will keep you front-of-mind with your Valentine.
“Certain scents can tap into emotionally charged memories as the olfactory centre of the brain – where you process smells – plays a strong role in instantaneously recalling sentiments and feelings,” Sarah said.
Sarah recommends selecting a scent that your loved one would naturally wear and that complements their personality. “Try to remember the first time you met your loved one and select a ‘top note’ to reflect this impression. Fresh citrus or aquatic scents can complement social and flirty personalities, while woody or oriental scents can reflect mystery.”
If you’re still looking for “The One”, there’s no reason you can’t spoil yourself this Valentine’s Day. “Much like selecting a potential partner, when choosing a scent for yourself, take the time to try the fragrance on your skin and let it settle for several hours, then you will know if it is the one for you,” she said.
When it comes to beauty, focus on the lips and nails. Lips for obvious reasons … and nails because they’ll probably be wrapped around a glass of something nice. Well, mine will be anyway.
1. Peace Love & Juicy Couture fragrance 100ml $145. This one’s not on the shelves until February 13 but perfect for a last-minute buy. It’s drenched in florals but has a wild feminine wood harmonies. Kind of like yin and yang in a covetable bottle. Available at Myer, David Jones, The Perfume Connection and selected pharmacies.
2. Orly First Kiss nail colour $18.95. Wrap pale pink nails around that champagne glass. So innocent? Or not?
3. Benefit Love It Up $59. Don’t miss this limited edition collectible set of fruity green Lookin’ To Rock Rita eau de toilette (30ml) and complementing silk scented body lotion (60ml). Ph (02) 8353 5000 for stockists.
4. CID i-pout in Scarlett $33. Nothing says seduction like a red lip and this creamy, vitamin E-enriched formula is a winner. Totally loving the built-in lights and mirror for a subtle re-apply anywhere, anytime.
5. Illamasqua Throb Collection nail varnish $34 each. Throb is a powerful red nail varnish, the colour of blood spilled by desperate, rejected lovers. Load is a rich, cream coating for the nails and the midnight matt finish of Scorn is a deep statement of obsession. No mixed messages with these colours. Go get ’em, Tiger.
6. Naughty Alice fragrance 75ml $125. It’s sexy, it’s audacious and inspired by Vivienne Westwood. Try it if you like a boundary-breaking floriental. Available at Myer and David Jones.
7. Chanel No. 5 Eau de Parfum purse spray 3 x 20ml $182. Portable luxury doesn’t not get any better. You would definitely feel wooed if gifted this set. Each set includes a ultra sleek, purse-sized twist and spray bottle (larger than a lipstick but still comfortable in your hand) and two re-fills. They are just begging to be taken out and preferably accessorised with a Chanel bag (a girl’s got to dream, hasn’t she?). Also available in Eau Premiere and Eau de Toilette ($139) from Myer, David Jones and selected pharmacies nationally.
So, Stylers … see anything you like? Do you have any secrets that help you get in the mood for romance?