The Sunday Mail broke the news today: this year’s Mercedes-Benz Brisbane Fashion Festival will be held earlier this year – from August 7-13. And its exciting new venue is a 600-seat marquee in the cultural forecourt of South Bank.
Here’s the report by Marie-Christine Sourris in the Sunday Mail:
MORE, more more.
That’s the message from Mercedes-Benz Fashion Festival Organisers this year.
Queensland’s most exclusive and premier fashion event will be staged at South Bank this year, allowing most events, including the swimwear parade, to be staged in a 600-seat marquee in the cultural forecourt.
“The runway will be 30m long, it’s the longest runway we’ve ever done,” MBFF director Lindsay Bennett said yesterday.
“That means more fashion, more models, more everything.”
“As a major sponsor of the festival and the event’s print partner, The Sunday Mail can announce the event has abandoned its traditional late August slot for an earlier schedule – August 7 to 13 – jumping the gun on Sydney’s own fashion festival and tying in with Italian fashion legend Valentino’s exclusive exhibition and rumoured visit at Brisbane’s GoMA.
“Since we already have the focus nationally on Brisbane at that time, it seems like the ideal opportunity to roll one into the other,” said Bennett of GoMA’s exhibition, which also opens on August 7.
“The other advantage is that this will be the first time the festival runs over a weekend – hopefully more people will be able to find time to come.”
The MBFF recorded a 61 per cent increase on ticket sales last year, attracting 20,000 people to the events.
Last year’s festival also generated reported retail sales in excess of $4.58million, according to Bennett, who hopes this figure will significantly increase this year.
“We’re really excited in our fifth year to move to a marquee environment, situated in a precinct that really does cover arts and fashion design, with the city as a beautiful backdrop,” he said.
“Brisbane is going to be such a fashionable place to be at the start of August.”