It’s not uncommon to see me here on the blog in my swimsuit. But underwear? This was a big step for me.
When Bonds contacted me to see if I’d like to get on board with the Bonds Comfytails Comfy Undies campaign, I hesitated for a minute then gave my inner self critic a strong dressing down. Pun intended.
See, if you’ve been reading Styling You long enough, I’m about championing EVERY woman. Just because a woman is a certain shape, age or size doesn’t mean she’s not interested in looking and feeling the best she can.
I’m far from model-like in proportions – or age. I’m a size 14-16 who’s turning 50 in three months’ time. I don’t let any of those numbers dictate my confidence and I preach that you shouldn’t either.
The thought of being photographed in underwear pushed me outside my comfort zone but I can’t talk peace, love and body confidence without walking the talk, can I?
I immediately got on the phone to the only photographer I’d trust for the job, booked in a spray tan and a pro hair and makeup job, put on my big girls’ pants (there I go again) and just did it.
Big snaps to Bonds for using the gorgeous Kate Bell as their official model for Comfytails. Kate is a 48-years-old yoga teacher. It’s incredibly refreshing to see someone not young enough to be my daughter showcasing an underwear collection aimed at me.
If you’ve been in front of the TV the last couple of weeks you’d have seen the funny ads for Comfytails (you can watch them HERE). I may not have had a pearl g-string back in the day but I did have a smalls’ drawer filled with undies that better resembled dental floss.
What was I thinking? Not only did they create ridiculous VPL (visible panty line) on all outfits excepting jeans but wearing them felt like I was being sawed in two – from the bottom up. Too much information? Sorry.
Now if you took a peak in my smalls’ drawer you’d find wall-to-wall comfort. You’d find a lot of nude underwear (I wear a lot of white and that’s the only colour that works underneath). You’d find a lot of breathable fabrics. And you’d find underwear with minimal or no seaming.
Life is way too short for uncomfy undies.
The thing is, even though we’re no longer 20 or 30-year-olds willing to wiggle our bottoms into tiny pieces of fabric, we don’t necessarily want to embrace granny pants either.
If you’re with me then you’re going to get excited about the Bonds Comfytails collection. All are made from soft, breathable stretch cotton and no-dig elastics. The fit is comfortable and you can supplement your nude underwear supply with fashionable prints … because life can’t be all beige, can it? And comfort shouldn’t mean sacrificing style.
What I also love is that you can choose the fit that’s right for you. Each Comfytails’ style comes in full, midi, hi leg and bikini fits. Size-wise, depending on the chosen fit, the range is from size 8-18 or 20. Price-wise, they’re $14.95 each – or three for $33.
Shop Comfytails HERE.
Tips for choosing comfy undies
1. Consider what shape is right for your shape. I’m a midi-to-full kind of undies girl. For this photoshoot I’m wearing all midis. I do like a bit of coverage on my front and back. I’m wide across the hips so when I wear a smaller brief, the proportion between skin and brief is out of whack.
2. It might work to go up a size from normal. For this photoshoot, I’m wearing size 16. The 14s fit but they don’t sit as smoothly, gripping and creating lumps and bumps that don’t need to be there. There is a fine line between going up a size or not, though. If there’s too much room, your undies will just fall down. You want them to sit smoothly on your skin for comfort and for minimising VPL.
3. Every underwear drawer needs nudes. Yes, beige may not be sexy but if you wear a lot of white or light-coloured clothing then nude underwear is essential. It’s the only colour that won’t show through under white.
4. Have fun with prints. I love jeans’ weather as you can have fun with the the colours and prints you wear under your jeans. You don’t need to worry about show through so go for it.
5. Don’t get hung up about how you THINK you look in underwear. It’s so easy to get caught up in the body comparison game but I say, avoid it. You’ve only got one body, embrace it and feel good in underwear that FEELS good when on.
Thanks to Bonds Comfytails, THREE Styling You readers will be filling their smalls’ drawers with comfy undies. Each winner will win a week’s worth of Comfytails (seven pairs).
To enter, answer the question below, leaving your response in the comments:
What uncomfy undies story or stories can you share with us?
Entries open Wednesday, March 1 at 4.30am (AEST) and close Wednesday, March 15 at midnight (AEST). Australian entries only, sorry. The winner will be judged on originality and creativity. Photos can be uploaded with your comment. The winner will be contacted via email and their name will be published here. Full terms and conditions here.
Photography: The Photo Pitch