I’m a makeup (almost) every day kind of girl. That might not be you and that’s ok. It’s me.
I like to have an even complexion staring me back in the mirror. Makes me feel and look fresh when the reality might be quite different.
My everyday daytime makeup differs vastly from my nighttime efforts and those efforts differ vastly from the efforts of the pros who I enlist for official photoshoots.
In fact, the aim of my everyday daytime makeup look is to look just like me but with a subtle non-makeup-makeup look.
It’s me but with the skin tone even, eyes lightly defined and a little bit of a glow and illumination happening.
The good news is, this look is far from complicated. At the most I use eight products. Sometimes less, if I don’t feel the need for eye shadow or if I’ve just had my brows and lashes tinted.
I thought I’d share my tips on how to create a simple summer daytime makeup look in case you’re looking for some shortcuts or interested in a new product or two.
How to create a simple summer daytime makeup look
1. Start with a cleansed, moisturised and sunscreened face. A great makeup look starts with a good skincare routine. Keep yours up for the long haul and you’ll need your makeup to do even less.
2. Prime or, like I’ve been doing lately, apply a CC cream. This is the prep work before the foundation or tinted moisturiser. A primer will act like velcro between your skin and the next makeup layer. The CC cream magically evens out the skin tone to create a super blank canvas for your foundation. The foundation then doesn’t have to do as much work on the complexion evening-out front.
What I’m using right now: Erin Bigg Cosmetics Brightening CC Cream SPF 20+ in medium
3. Apply foundation or tinted moisturiser or BB Cream. How thick you like your coverage will depend on how you like your makeup to look and sit on your skin. I like at least a medium coverage and a product that helps on the luminosity front. This summer I’ve fallen big time for this Hourglass product. It’s described as a skin tint but it has incredible coverage – my kind of coverage. It’s not the cheapest product but about a half a pea size will do my whole face when applied with a beauty blender. I use the blender and this product as concealer too.
What I’m using right now: Hourglass Illusion Hyaluronic Skin Tint in light beige
4. Get your glow on with illuminating and contouring powder. If I’m in a hurry, I simply swish a big, soft makeup brush around this entire palette and swish it all over my face. Instant glow – and setting of the foundation. If I’m wanting to make more of an effort, I’ll use individual colours on my cheeks and as highlighters to create a bit of a contour situation.
What I’m using right now: Youngblood Mineral Radiance Bronzer
5. Add eye colour. Some days I do; some days I don’t. Mostly I do and I’ll cover the entire lid to the brow bone with the vanilla colour of this palette. Then I’ll apply the copper colour across the lid, with a little defining in the crease and corner of my eyes with the lighter of the two browns.
What I’m using right now: Erin Bigg Cosmetics Pressed Pigment Quad in Dusky Orchid
6. Apply eyeliner. I like a brown for daytime – and one that won’t budge. I’m on my second pencil of this Stila product. I love it. It glides on beautifully and stays in place all day. If you’re a little scared of eyeliner, that’s ok. The best tip that helped me get more confident with eyeliner was the knowledge that you don’t have to apply it in one line but more in small feather-like strokes, working your way across the lid to the outer corners.
What I’m using right now: Stila Smudgestick Waterproof Eyeliner in Espresso
7. Apply mascara. Can never leave home without it.
What I’m using right now: Maybelline Volum’ Express Pumped Up! Colossal Water
8. Apply eyebrow pencil or gel. Ditto on the leaving home front. Eyebrows really do frame the face. Many people start with this step and I can see why – your face gets an immediate lift.
What I’m using right now: Max Factor Eyebrow Pencil
9. Add a pop of lippy or gloss. For daytime, I tend to be a gloss girl. I’ve always got a selection on hand at any given moment. This one has taken up residence in my bathroom kit. It’s so subtle and gorgeous on.
What I’m using right now: Mecca Cosmetica tinted lip De-Luscious SPF 25 in Nude
So tell me, what’s your daytime makeup routine? Spill in the comments below. We want to know all your tricks and fave products.