The fashion seasons have a changed and the weather is also catching up with the change in some parts of Australia.
If you’re a Monday-Friday office worker then you’re probably on the look out for pieces that can freshen up your existing work wardrobe.
This is a very good time for that. Most stores have not gone full winter on us, instead offering us wear now, layer-later options.
If you work in an air-conditioned office then it’s these options that make for work wardrobe pieces you can wear all year round.
Mornings can be stressy. Getting out the door on time is not a zen-like experience.
You can, however, make life a little easier for you by doing these three things:
1. Start with a de-cluttered wardrobe. I’m a cracked record on this but I can’t underline enough how important this is. You need to know what’s in your wardrobe before you can plan outfits or shop for new pieces.
2. Plan ahead what your wardrobe week looks like. Planning out what I wear each week is part of my weekly planning schedule. I don’t always stick to the plan but the plan gives me an anchor each morning – something I’ve thought about in advance. It helps to eliminate staring blankly at my wardrobe for extended periods of time.
3. Keep photo files of outfit combinations that you love wearing. A great by-product of sharing my daily outfit on Instagram and Facebook for #everydaystyle has been the ability to scroll back on outfits for what-to-wear prompts. You don’t have to do share your outfit combinations publicly (but you’re more than welcome to join in) – you could instead just do a quick mirror selfie each morning and file that image into a specific outfit folder on your phone.
To help visualise how you can freshen up your autumn workwear wardrobe – and keep things varied without breaking the budget – I’ve put together an autumn workwear capsule wardrobe for you.
Remember, these 15 pieces may be similar to pieces you already have in your wardrobe. One or two of them might be just the style of thing you’ve been looking for to freshen up your office look.
Everyone has a different budget to spend on workwear. What is budget-priced to one person, might be top-of-the range to another. Let’s drop the judgement on that and concentrate on our own budget and work within it. Use what I recommend as a style guide and buy pieces that fit YOUR budget.
I suggest spending most on the workwear basic pieces, shoes and a bag – things you might wear every day or repeatedly over the course of a month. Spend less on the more fashion-forward pieces that are more highlight show-pony pieces in a workwear capsule.
When creating a capsule wardrobe – for work, play or travel, starting with a base of neutrals helps you to extend the possible outfit combinations from fewer pieces.
There is no right or wrong – choose neutrals that you feel comfortable and confident in. Then, if desired, add accent colours that make you feel the same.
1. Surafina dress $79
2. Maiocchi dress $229 @ Birdsnest
3. UNIQLO top $39.90
4. UNIQLO shirt $49.90
5. Seed top $69.95
6. Bohemian Traders skirt $89
7. Alessi skirt $59.95 @ Birdsnest
8. Katies pants $59.95
9. Oroton bag $486.50
10. Uberkate necklace $225
11. Bird Keepers scarf $39.95 @ Birdsnest
12. FRANKiE4 Footwear boots $299.95
13. Country Road heels $179
14. Katies trench coat $89.95
15. Trenery jacket $699
Just a few possible outfit combinations
1 + 14 + 12 + 10
1 + 8 (tucked in as top) + 11 + 13
2 + 14 + 12 + 9
2 + 13 + 9 + 15
8 + 3 + 13 + 9 + 10
8 + 4 + 12 + 15 + 9
8 + 5 + 12 + 10
7 + 3 + 14 + 12 + 10
7 + 4 + 13 + 9 + 11 + 15
7 + 5 + 12 + 10
6 + 4 + 13 + 9 + 15
6 + 5 + 12 + 14
When shopping for clothes or accessories, don’t forget my only rule:
Don’t buy it unless you LOVE it.
Do you work in an office? How are you looking to refresh your work wardrobe?
* This post contains affiliate links. If you buy something via one of these links I may receive a small commission. Full disclosure policy here.