It’s four weeks until Christmas Eve.
I know gift buying is all about giving to others but I’m a big fan of the self-gift too.
We’re worth it, don’t you think?
The gift I’m most likely to buy myself at Christmas is something to wear on Christmas Day.
I think this goes back to being a kid and more often than not receiving something new in the clothes department on Christmas morning … well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
Now while I may not be a fan of fancy dress, I am a fan of channelling an outfit to suit the theme of the occasion.
And when that occasion is Christmas, you can expect I’ll be as coordinated as a shopping centre Christmas tree in colours of red, green or white.
Throw in a few gold and/or silver accessories and you could probably park me in the corner, wrap a strand of lights around me and stick a few presents at my feet. No-one would be the wiser.
There is a lot of fun in dressing for Christmas Day.
Whether you dress in a Christmas colour scheme or not, these what to wear Christmas Day tips will help you find an outfit worthy of a self-gift. Plus I’ve found 12 festive frocks you can shop online for right now.
Christmas Day style tips
1. Dress for the location. Yes, I know the occasion Christmas but will you be celebrating pool or beachside, on a deck, indoors in air-conditioning (or heater depending on which part of Australia you live), at a hotel or restaurant? This will determine how casual or dressed up your outfit needs to be.
2. Beach or poolside calls for loose garments you can easily take off and throw on over a swimsuit. Make the swimsuit and your hat and sunnies part of the outfit as that’s what you’ll most be in throughout the day.
3. In the backyard or on a deck or verandah? You’ll most probably be relying on nature’s air-conditioning system to keep you cool. Help that along and opt for natural fabrics in more flowing styles.
4. If lunch is a more formal home affair or you’re out at a restaurant or hotel, something a little more dressy is called for. We’re not talking cocktail, more an outfit you’d wear to the races (without a hat) or to a summer wedding.
5. White really is all right. I know you’re sick of me saying there’s no need to be scared of white but really there isn’t. Just have Napisan at the ready. Preparing food? Wear an apron. It’s such a cool and fresh colour.
6. Accessorise with shiny baubles. Whatever colour you opt to wear, a little shimmer and shine will only add to the festive nature of your outfit. Metallic flats, a cocktail ring or statement necklace … all are your friends in the outfit decorating department.
7. Frock up. If you haven’t worked it out already, I’m all for the frock when it comes to Christmas Day dressing. Mostly this is because it’s your coolest option for beating the heat but also because a frock just simplifies the whole putting an outfit together scenario. Frocks for me also mark a moment in time. If I’ve bought myself a new frock for Christmas Day then I very much remember that Christmas and associate that particular frock with a wonderful day.
So tell me … do you self-gift at Christmas time? Do you buy yourself something new to wear? Bought anything yet? Share below in the comments?
PS. Many (not all) of the frocks I’ve featured today are from small independent designers or boutique owners who advertise on Styling You – I’m so appreciative of their support and would love you to click through and see what they have on offer.
PPS. Make sure you check out the links below for more gift ideas and tips. And bookmark this page as those links will increase as we get closer to Christmas. If you’re a blogger who’s posted about Christmas gift buying, add your link too!