Did you hear the big beauty news yesterday?
We already knew that cosmetic retail giant Sephora was coming to Australia but it seems that we will get the US prices as well.
I’m not really surprised as I’ve noticed over the past couple of years many cosmetic brands reducing their retail prices in Australia. Competition is alive and well and will only get more fierce with Sephora’s arrival.
I wonder what it will do to our existing retailers. I hope they can match on price without sacrificing service because if they do then the winner will be us – the Australian beauty consumer.
Things to ponder. Would love to know your thoughts?
In the meantime, I’ve listed my five beauty favourites for June 2014 for you. There’s even a little eyeliner tutorial video to go with one of these faves. I’m no expert – you’ll find plenty of those on YouTube – but if you’re of a certain age, with the kind of eyes that come with that certain age and and scared stiff of a liquid eyeliner, then scroll on down. My video might be the prompt you need.
1. Jo Malone Silk Blossom Cologne ($90): I know it’s all kinds of strange that we get the summer fragrance releases as it’s heading into our winter but I think sometimes you just have to go with it. I’m not an overly floral type of fragrance girl but this one won me over with its hint of spice (white pepper) and grounding base of moss. It’s sold out online but you may be lucky to nab a bottle in store.
2. Napoleon Perdis The One Concealer – Light ($39): I’m a huge, huge fan of the original of this concealer. The original scared me at first as it looked too dark but when I got the hang of it – using just the teeny, tiniest of amounts, pre-warmed on my finger tips – then it did miraculously work in with my complexion. BUT. I know many of you just couldn’t make it work for your skin tone. For those it’s time to rejoice. A “Light” shade has been released. It works for my skin tone too – slightly better. And don’t be scared off by the price for one small tub. It lasts a very long time. I use mine daily and have barely made a dint in it. Apply after your foundation or BB cream and you’ll need less as well.
3. Benefit They’re Real! Push-Up Liner ($35): This is the eye-liner that will change your life if you’ve ever been too scared to use one. The angled brush (see video below) makes application fool proof. Plus, if you struggle with eyeliner sticking to your eyelids, struggle no more – this won’t budge until you use an eye makeup remover to do so. It’s not available until June 27 in Australia but keep an eye on the Benefit Australia Facebook page for pre-sales. I’m already a huge fan of the They’re Real Mascara and this new line has well and truly lived up to its hype. Look out for it at Benefit counters and boutiques and online at Adore Beauty.
4. BareMinerals Marvellous Moxie Lipgloss in Sparkplug ($26.95): This little pocket rocket of a lipgloss has been my handbag bestie for a while now. It actually came as part of a the limited edition Dynamic Duo set that included a mini Lash Domination mascara. You may still track down the duo (which was priced at $19.95) in store at Mecca Maxima. When this mini Moxie runs out I’ll be re-stocking in its regular form. The colour is a gorgeous neutral with a coppery shimmer. It hydrates and plumps the lips a little without any stickiness.
5. Rimmel London Scandaleyes Rockin’ Curves Mascara ($16.95): Want big lashes fast? The “broken-heart” brush works a treat to create curvy lashes by hugging the base of your lashes and grabbing the hard-to-reach inner lashes. Love the formula – it’s a cinch for clump-free mascara application.
Now, it’s your turn … have you come across a beauty product this month we all need to hear about? Or share one fave from your beauty kit you can’t ever imagine not buying!