What kind of Christmas Day have you got planned?
We’ve only done one really dressed-up Christmas Day in recent history, opting for a fancy hotel lunch that bought on a food coma that lasted for days … just without a fridge full of leftovers.
I’d do the hotel gig again in a flash but definitely not this year.
This year it’s our last on the the Sunshine Coast so we’re staying put, hoping for a picture-perfect morning for a surf and swim before breakfast and a casual lunch at home feasting on prawns, ham and salad.
Fancy schmancy-ness will come in the form of Champagne.
However you choose to celebrate, there are bound to be well-meaning friend and relatives (in our family that’s usually me) waving a camera around to record the day.
My vanity usually gets in the way and I’ll have always slapped on a bit of a face before any selfie or non-selfie action.
If you don’t suffer from the same vanity and are quite happy to face Christmas Day like any other, then I salute you. As you were.
If you’re like me, here are some easy Christmas Day beauty tips.
They’re about looking and feeling yourself but with a little bit of polish.
Some of these tips need to be implemented before the day.
Some will help you fake it till you make it on the day.
1. If your hair colour is due for a refresh, get on the phone now and book in to avoid disappointment. If you like to DIY at home, set aside the time when you won’t be interrupted – just don’t leave it till Christmas Eve – or after too much Christmas cheer.
2. Hair overdue for a style cut? Book that in too. Even a trim and tidy will help you harness a Good Hair Day on December 25.
3. Book a spray tan or get working on the gradual tan. Only if you want to, of course. I’ve become quite partial to a fortnightly salon spray tan. Part of that is finding an express (wash off in 1.5 hours) tan in a colour that’s just right for my skin tone. My Christmas Eve one is already booked. In between I’m all about the gradual tan because you really just can’t stuff it up. I’d just suggest exfoliating it all off every week or so and starting over to avoid patchiness. My current faves are Bondi Sands (particularly the Everyday SPF 15+) and EcoTan’s Winter Skin. If you get caught up in the busy-ness of it all then don’t fret, you can fake it on Christmas morning with a wash-off instant tan. Loving these two at the moment.
4. Christmas nails make all the difference. Or is that just me? I love a festive nail – on fingers and toes. Either in red or a bright, summer colour to suit what I’m wearing. Book in or plan your DIY mani and pedi time at home now.
5. Don’t drop your skincare routine. In the busy-ness of pre-Christmas carry-ons, it’s so easy to let good skincare habits drop. Your skin needs even more help so make it a priority to cleanse and moisturise morning and night. A good night cream or serum is your friend. So is a pick-me-up use a mask such as the new Radical Instant Revitalising Mask (1) and an eye treatment such as Eye Slices (2).
6. Get your makeup routine sorted for the day. Time is usually of the essence. Either you’re heading somewhere to visit other people or you’ve got “other” people coming to you. Refresh yourself with my two-minute makeup routine tips here. If your day is on the super casual side, I’d swap out the foundation for a BB cream.
Breaking this routine down even more – particularly if it’s hot and sticky where you do Christmas, I’d employ my holiday routine pictured below.
Mix the CC or BB cream (1) with the bronzing cream (2) in your fingertips and apply to face. Dust over a mineral powder (3) to set and finish with a coral lippy (4). Sunglasses on if outside or add a lick of mascara if inside.
7. If your day involves time outdoors, keep the sunscreen handy and re-apply often if you’re in and out of a pool or the surf. Here are three I’ve been trialling and loving right now – all are SPF 50+ and the BB cream is a definite option instead of foundation.
1. Invisible Zinc - a beach bag essential because it’s four hour water resistant. It’s medium thickness on application and rubs in well. | 2. La Roche-Posay melt in BB cream – the first 50+ BB that I’ve come across. It’s gorgeous and light to wear on your face. | 3. Dermalogica Sport – a great formulation that is light enough you can wear each day and top up without feeling sticky.
8. Treat yourself to a new lip colour or gloss. A red, pink or a coral work a treat for Christmas Day and adding a pop of lippy is always a good idea. Just ask your Nan.
1. NIVEA Lip Butter in Raspberry Rose | 2. Lipstick Queen Endless Summer lipstick in Perfect Wave | 3. Bobbi Brown Limited Edition Lip Gloss in Siren Red
9. Smile. It’s just one day. Enjoy it for what it is.
What are you doing Christmas Day? Does makeup or a beauty routine factor into your pre-Christmas preparations?
* The above featured beauty products were sent to me for editorial consideration