When you think of the sport luxe trend do you imagine crop tops, sports bras as tops, excessive fluoro or leggings as daywear?
I do! I’ve seen fashionistas at various events glammed up like kids from Fame the musical.
Trust me I won’t be wearing any of these items any time soon and I’m pretty sure you don’t envisage them in your wardrobe either. Sport Luxe is a massive trend for Summer 2013 but how can you pull it off if you’re no longer 18.
Firstly what exactly is sport luxe?
Well it does not mean wearing tracksuit pants and running shoes on a daily basis hence the ‘luxe’ part of the phrase.
It’s a casual look with a relaxed silhouette that is ever so chic at the same time. Perfect for day wear if you nail it correctly. It is very tricky because you can end up looking like an extra from a One Direction video and no-one wants that.
Here’s some tips on how to wear sport luxe without looking like a teenager:
1. Country Road Kimono Sleeve Stripe Dress $59.95 | 2. Chalayan Sweat Dress Was $499.07 Now $199.63 via ASOS | 3. Sheike Sports Luxe Jacket Was $159.95 Now $49.00 | 4. Adidas by Stella McCartney Sweatshirt $128.28 via Net a Porter | 5. Little Joe Woman Diamond Sequin Pants $299 | 6. Selected Friska Bomber Jacket Was $166.36 Now $74.86 | 7. Saba Pia Dress $199
1. Keep it simple! Choose dresses in relaxed fabrics, like cotton, sheer or silk jersey with loose flowing silhouettes. The idea is for the look not to be too fitted. Comfortable and minimalist is the key. Wear with sandals, block heels, wedges or even baseball boots or high tops if you’re brave enough.
2. Go for colour blocking and piping for that sporty feel. If the relaxed look isn’t your thing, another take on this trend is colour blocking. Choose cobalt or monochrome for a classic look that is perfect for work and play.
3. Avoid crop tops at all costs. They are everywhere for summer. DO NOT GET SUCKED IN! It looks great if you’re Rihanna or Katy Perry but for the average woman on the street it’s an absolute no no. Choose sweatshirts, jersey tops, slouch tops, racer backs or tees. Basically anything else. Pair with jeans or slouch pants with heels for an instant wardrobe update.
4. Avoid jackets emblazoned with lettering, you’re not in high school! This is almost as bad as grown men wearing baseball caps sideways. Almost but not quite. If you think you can pull it off go for it. I would play it safe with relaxed bomber jackets in muted colours and boxy jackets.
6. For a modern take on the tracksuit pant why not try a silk pair? Yes I know I mentioned not to wear tracksuit pants but it depends on the type and I think you know the ones I was referring to. The jogging pants that no-one really needs to see me in apart from my husband and that’s even pushing it. Sport luxe is all about luxe fabrics, you could even try embellishments for that extra touch. Wear with block heels or pumps for a day look with a twist.
7. Go for one sporty item in your outfit and tailor the rest. You don’t want to go overboard! Just choose one piece and work you outfit around it. A baggy sweatshirt with a pencil skirt and pumps or a bomber jacket over a fitted dress look great.
8. Invest in a pair of block heeled sandals. These are the must-have shoes of the Summer and they go with everything. Versatile and easy to walk in, what’s not to love? They look great with pencil dresses, tunic style dresses and slouch pants.
9. If you want some style inspiration check out the Bassike range. They are the masters of sports luxe design.
1. Marc by Marc Jacobs Sunglasses $144.95 | 2. Karl Lagerfield Baseball Cap $64.83 | 3. Tommy Hilfiger Ellery Watch $149 via David Jones | 4. Warehouse Colour Block Shopper Bag $70.24 via ASOS | 5. Ginger and Smart Shape Shifter Sandal $429 | 6. Wittner Maxi Sandal $169.95 | 7. Nike Blazer High Top Trainers $157.11 via ASOS
So what do you think of the sport luxe trend? Will you be embracing it or keeping it for the school run?
Deauvanné aka Mama Stylista is a Mother, Stylist, Presenter and Blogger with over 15 years experience in fashion having worked as a model, fashion buyer and stylist. Deauvanné is also a trained TV presenter. The Mama Stylista blog combines Motherhood, Fashion and everything in between! Deauvanné is the Fashion Editor of Latte Life newspaper and Leaders in Heels.com