Editor’s note: Mr SY has done his sneaky best to present me with a Father’s Day wishlist here. Little does he know I may or may not have already been shopping! Read on too for details on how you could win a set of Uberkate Living Keyring and Living cufflinks for the dad in your life.
Growing up I always took my present buying duties for Father’s and Mother’s Day pretty seriously.
I got a real kick out of the opportunity to say an extra “thank you’’ for all the spending and running around they did for me when I was a kid.
My Dad has always been fun to buy for. He loves lollies, chocolates and all things spicy.
I used to take an almost sick pleasure in trying to find a hot sauce or dressing that would all but reduce him to tears. And to his credit, Dad happily played along with the routine, with a lot of moaning and wheezing and brow mopping after cracking the lid on each new offering.
As I grew older and gained access to more funding through part-time work I was able to be a little more expansive with my gift selections; but I have always tried to focus on the appropriateness of the gift, rather than just the value.
My main rule for Father’s Day is to find a gift that you know the recipient is going to really like, but would not necessarily buy for themselves.
Something that tells Dad you love him.
Fortunately for me Team SY looks after me pretty well in this department too. They’re good at taking hints, so I’m throwing a few out in this Father’s Day 2013 wishlist post with a selection of gifts that I know I would like and maybe the dad in your life would as well.
1. 1969 Nylon Fin and Box $300: Whether he’s a surfer, a golfer, a fisher or a car nut, dads love to look at and lust over the memorabilia but will rarely ever make a purchase. Take the next step for him, he will really appreciate it.
2. Country Road t-shirt $49.95: We’re coming in to the warmer months, so why not get him a fun new T-shirt. It’s all about the pineapple at SY HQ at the moment. Ms SY bought me this one the other day.
3. Wheel & Barrow whiskey tumblers $69.95 (set of 2): He’s not likely to buy a set himself but he will bloody love sipping from them of a late evening, possibly while watching the footy.
4. e-Shave shaving brush $100: I’ve recently returned to the shaving brush and have turned what could be considered a chore into an enjoyable grooming process. Don’t knock it till you try it.
5. Key safe set $49.95: For the surfer or biker dad who would rather secure the car keys than take them with them or hide them when heading out for some alone time.
6. BOSE SIE2i sports in-ear headphones $199: my current set of sport headphones are all but rooted. Plus they always fall out of my ears. Not ideal. These little beauties from the sound gurus at BOSE are not the cheapest in the range, but they produce awesome sound and a snug fit.
7. Fossil leather ipad case $129: Tough, functional and looks great.
8. Graphic socks $9 (each): I’ve decided plain black or navy is boring and it is much more fun to rock something that’s a little out there. Especially when you catch people looking at them on the train/bus to work!
9. Uberkate necklace $195: I don’t mind a bit of man jewellery. And if you order from the Uberkate Father’s Day range, you’ll also receive a free gift. (See below for details of this and how to enter to win Uberkate for the dad in your life.)
Uberkate is all about the spirit of relationships, connecting families, friends and loved ones through personalised handmade jewellery. The company was founded in 2004 by designer Kate Sutton, who wanted to create unique, personalised jewellery (Ms SY has more than a few pieces in her collection and wears at least one of them everyday!). Uberkate was launched with Kate’s signature piece, the Ubercircle, which symbolises the endless flow of love between those people whose names are embossed in the precious metals.
We’re friends of Kate and Mr Uber (Mrs Woog introduced us) and Mr Uber has put all us blokes to shame with this idea he had and created for Kate’s 40th birthday last week.
Check out the men’s collection here. For every order from the Father’s Day range, you’ll also receive a free gift of a circle pendant on black silk (pictured below left) valued at $115.
Together with Uberkate, Styling You has a set of a Living Keyring ($225) and Living cufflinks ($295) to give away to one lucky reader. To enter, answer this question in the comments below (remembering you could be entering to win for your dad or your children’s dad):
What’s the most memorable thing the dad in your life has done for you or your family?
Entries open on Wednesday Tuesday, August 20 at 6am and close on Sunday, August 25 at 8pm. Australian entries only, sorry. The winner will be judged on originality and creativity. They will be emailed and their name will be published here. Entrants must include an email address when the filling in the commenting system below to be eligible to enter. Full terms and conditions, here.