Weekend recipe: gluten-free apple crumble
We’ve been embracing all things winter around here … putting lamps on and lighting candles at 5pm … making and enjoying mulled wine … and cooking up hearty food.
Come the weekend, we’re also just as likely to embrace a winter dessert if we’re staying in. On this particular occasion, the fruit bowl was offering up an excess of apples.
I say, when life hands you an excess of apples, you make apple crumble. Yes? Or in this case, delegate crumble making to Mr SY.
This is a recipe for a non-fancy-schmancy, take-me-as-I-am apple crumble. You may like to get all fancy by adding in blueberries or rhubarb. I’m not adverse to that at all.
And you might not have cause to go gluten-free, in which case … as you were with regular ol’ flour.
Another reader suggestion when I popped this up on Instagram was to use a muesli as the crumble. I like this thinking and I think I could work my fave Brookfarm gluten-free porrij into it quite nicely.
We make this using our Thermomix, for speed and one-bowl washing-up minimalisation but I’ve included instructions for making it without.
Do you like a crumble? What’s your fave winter dessert?
Gluten-free apple crumble
Author: Nikki Parkinson | Styling You
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1kg apples, peeled, quartered and halved again
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup of white wine or apple juice
- 100g gluten-free flour
- 60g butter
- 50g sugar
- pinch salt
- Cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine flour, butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon and blitz in a food processor or in a Thermomix (speed 6) until you get well-formed crumbles. Set aside.
- If using Thermomix, rinse out bowl before adding apples, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and white wine to bowl. Cook on 100 degrees, speed 1 for about six minutes.
- If using stove top, add same ingredients to a large saucepan, bring to boil and simmer until apples are tender but not too soft.
- Place apple mixture in bottom of medium heatproof casserole dish or lined baking dish.
- Add crumble mix to top and cook 15-20 minutes until crumble is browned.
- Serve with good quality vanilla bean ice-cream.
Stay in touch
For a daily email update, click HERE
. Or hit the subscribe button below for weekly news in your inbox.