Editor’s note: This is regular series in which we help Styling You readers solve a particular wardrobe or clothing crisis with a little advice and some shopping suggestions. If you think you’d like to be considered as part of a Wardrobe Boot Camp post, then please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a couple of photos and a brief run down of what specific help you would like.
Danielle is a mum who says her social life revolves around her children’s parties and extra-curricular activities. So when invitations come in to spend some time with her girlfriends, she’s at a loss to know what to wear. Planning what to wear on a girls’ night out should be a fun exercise so we’re going to make it one.
I need help! I have a girls night out with my cousin to a new tapas restaurant/bar in The Rocks, Sydney. Dinner will be eaten, sangria and cocktails will be consumed, dancing will be done and sore heads will be had.
Since becoming a mum, my social life revolves around the children’s parties & extra-curricular activities. Date night with Hubby is the extent of my nights out and I can usually get away with an (old) little black dress or skinny jeans and a nice jacket/top and heels but I feel like I no longer know what to wear on a night out in town.
I am short, with big boobs and generous bottom, although I am a healthy weight, which makes me fussy.
1. Look in the wardrobe first. I know it’s been a while since this was your normal weekend activity but apart from your trusty black dress, perhaps there are other pieces that are too dressy for when you’re on kids’ duty and could form part of a girls’ night out outfit.
2. Why not shop for a new LBD? Or a LND? Substituting a navy for black is a fun way to still have a go-to glam wardrobe basic on hand but one that is classic enough to regularly take out. Otherwise, a new style in a black dress will help you feel a bit more excited about this look.
3. Revamp your skinny jeans look with a jacket that sparkles. A denim jeans and a white tee outfit can be lifted from mum uniform to HELLO with the addition of a bit of bling. Kimono jackets are a good alternative to a jacket too.
4. Why not change out the jeans for a leather skirt or leggings? This post will help. You will immediately feel more dressed up.
5. Treat yourself to a new pair of heels or booties. An old look is easily re-invented with new shoes. Ditto with a statement necklace or cute clutch.
1. Atmos&Here tee $19.95 @ The Iconic | 2. Witchery dress $99.95 | 3. Toi Et Moi pants $159.95 @ The Iconic | 4. Tony Bianco heels $149.95 @ Styletread | 5. Lovisa necklace $24.99 | 6. Aryn K jacket $151.48 (on sale) @ ASOS
Do you have any tips for Danielle? Is a girls’ night out a rare event for you or something you try to do as often as possible?