Editor’s note: I’m away this week. Helping me out are some of my blogging friends. Because I commission these posts and these bloggers are helping me to keep my blog running while I’m away from regular duties, I’ll also be paying them for their contributions. Today, say hello to Kim from Working Women Australia.
I’m a busy working mum of two, with four businesses and a reignited passion for beauty routines. There were a number of years when I thought it was all too hard and let certain regimes go by the wayside. Not any more.
Over the last few months I’ve discovered some great time saving beauty products that allow me to take care of myself, while not taking up too much of my precious time. After all, who has spare hours in their day? No one? No? Me either.
All of these products have helped me personally and now I’m going to share them with you.
- Dry shampoo. Thanks to my sister, I discovered the amazingness (totally a word) that is dry shampoo. With long unruly locks that take an hour to wash, dry and straighten, my hair was often being pulled back into a ponytail or bun. Since discovering dry shampoo, I can spray some on the roots of my hair and skip the odd day with my GHD. Tip: make sure you apply it to the roots, not right through the ends. Also, if you’re a brunette like me, allow it to dry for a couple of minutes, then run your fingers through your hair to remove any white spots.
- Use a 3-in-one cleanser. Last year I discovered the Garnier 3-in-one cleanser and it’s my new best friend. At age 36, I still get the occasional pimple (so unfair) and I need to make sure my skin is properly cleansed to avoid this. Using a 3-in-one in the shower has meant clear skin and it is a real time-saver! When my skin is particularly bad, I put it on at the start of my shower and leave it to dry like a mask then rinse it off. At other times, I just apply then rinse. Voila! Time saver and zit zapper.
- Tinted moisturiser. I’m not a heavy makeup wearer but like to give my skin a bit of colour without exposing it to the harsh Australian sun. Using a tinted moisturiser (or better yet a BB cream) gives my skin the double whammy of moisture and colour (and often SPF protection thrown in for good measure). I save a step in my morning beauty regimen and give my skin a glow. I use the Garnier BB Cream, but there are many variations on the market. There are also oil-free versions for others with problem skin.
- Hand-cream with an SPF. When I look at my older friends, the two places that seem to show age are the neck and hands. Even on those who are diligent about skin care. They’re highly neglected areas in most beauty routines, but here’s a way you can help your hands and save your skin. Using a hand-cream alone is not enough for me: I need one with an SPF built in. The Palmer’s hand-cream has an SPF of 15 and I have one in my car to apply when I’m on the school pick up, and one in my makeup bag to apply in the morning. At only $5 it’s a steal too. Moisturising and protecting? Tick.
- Use a mens razor. Seriously! This saves me so much time because they’re sharper and give a closer shave. I know some of you are laughing into your coffee cups right now, but give it a go. If you’re not a waxer, this will save you time and give your legs a smoother, softer finish. I use the Schick Hydro and have never had a nick or cut, but do have the smoothest legs in the East.
I hope that some of these will help you to save some precious time. I know that finding these little gems – has allowed me to start taking care of my very neglected beauty routine.
Do you have any secret beauty products that save you time? Leave a comment below so we can all benefit.
Kim Abbate is a work at home mum who blogs at Working Women Australia. Her blog focusses on topics that relate to busy working mums and centres around the topics of: Work, Home, Health and Family. She is the mother of two young children and lives in a small country town called Bright in regional Victoria. She has a passion for empowering women and drinking coffee. Or wine. Generally wine.