Hands in the air if you’ve already attended a Christmas party or two this season?
Me? The next two weeks are 2012’s peak Christmas party time for this old chook.
Need to find me some staying power. Quick smart.
Now, part of that stamina is having a strategy in place.
A strategy that involves drinking lots of water – before, during and after – plus maximising sleep time. Never underestimate the power of a weekend nana nap to top up the sleep bank. Never.
My strategy also involves having a good supply of face wipes on hand should lazy-girl beauty tendencies collide with those champagne-drinking ones.
I also never, ever forget eye cream application at this time of year. It’s too frightening for the outside world, let alone me looking back at my own reflection.
But what about when I’m actually at a party, trying to look semi-dazzling on the outside when not so dazzling on the inside?
Listen up, Stylers …
1. Master the smokey eye. I’m not perfect at this by any stretch of the imagination but it’s really such a clever way to take your everyday makeup look to evening wow. Loving The Body Shop’s new 4-Colour Eye Palette in Smoky Copper ($39.95). The copper colours are a softer way to create this look and really pop a blue eye.
2. Let your nails do the talking. What do you do most at parties? Apart from dance on tables and sing like you think you’re the next contender for The Voice? You have your hand wrapped around a glass, of course. Just like I’m a fan of the statement ring for such glass-holding occasions, I am a fan of the the statement nail. Or at least a nail that gets you noticed for all the right reasons. Loving this chartreuse colour from Australis (Acid Rain, $7.95). Loving. Check out new blog Nail Romance for more nail-worthy inspiration. It’s been created by the fabulously talented Christina, the blogger behind Hair Romance.
3. Get shimmy with it. ‘Tis the season where you get get away with shimmery-ing up your outfit and your makeup routine. Really, too much shimmer is never enough. So, over my self tan I’ve been whipping on a bit of this Nuxe Multi-Purpose Dry Oil ($29.95), which is, in my opinion, too functional a name for such a yummy product. It really helps you get your glow on. Love it.
4. Work a lip that lasts. There is nothing worse than lip colour disappearing quicker than the first drink. My tip is to start with a stayer and you’ll need fewer trips to the ladies’ for a top up. I do love a two-in-one product too. Benefit posiepal ($39) is a newbie from benefit that harnesses the power of posietint on one end and California kissin’ sparkly lip gloss on the other. Don’t be scared about the blue bit … it actually acts as an instant brightener to the tint. Perfecto with that smokey eye.
5. Keep all your party bits together. Oh, I’ve been a big, big fan of Borne Naked bag liners since before this blog began. One of my first posts here way back when no-one read the blog was about these. This cute little mini ($19.95 plus includes a free brush set) is perfect in silver and the ideal size for keeping the essentials ready to go for a night out. Have already bought more as gifts.
6. Keep your hair appointments. If, like me, staying blonde involves some quality chair time, have you got your pre-Christmas appointment booked? If not, hop to it as slots get booked super quickly. I’m also a fan of booking in for a style from the pros if it’s a particularly swish party I’m attending. But yes, I’m lazy like that 😉 A quick medium to long-hair ‘do that my hairdresser suggested for staying cool at a summer party: pack your hair full of mousse before blowdrying to really pump up the volume then pull back into a really high pony tail. Sweaty necks be gone. Yep, I’ll be working that one this summer, don’t you worry. Big earrings on … and BANG, I’ll be good to go.
What’s your party beauty routine look like? Any key products you don’t leave home without?