Whenever there’s a special occasion in the family or I’m invited to bring dessert somewhere, this is the recipe that I reach for.
Purely for selfish reasons.
Selfish because I LOVE raspberries. They are hands down my favourite fruit.
Selfish because I LOVE dark chocolate. I can’t remember when I ditched milk and went over to the dark side but I have not looked back.
Combine these two loves – the tartness of the raspberries with the sweet bitterness of the dark chocolate – I’m in sweet foodie heaven.
I also love this recipe, which I adapted a few years ago from a Donna Hay version, because it’s simple to whip up. You just need to allow for the hour or so of cooking time in your plans.
I make it gluten-free but you could use regular plain four – the more-ish effect if very much still the same.
Serve it in small squares or slices – warm with some vanilla bean ice cream or cool with a dollop of cream.
I cannot be held responsible for the inappropriate moaning noises which may occur while consuming
Dark Chocolate and Raspberry Brownies
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped (buy the best quality your budget allows)
- 250g butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups gluten free plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 300g frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth.
- Mix sugar and eggs together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour melted chocolate and butter mixture into egg and sugar mixture. Stir.
- Stir in sifted flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Pour into square shaped brownie or slice tin
- Add frozen raspberries to top. I like to cover the entire tray. Push gently into mixture.
- Bake for up to 60 minutes. Check from 45 minutes onwards. The centre will still be fudgey but the sides will be firm.
Do you bake? Do you have a signature cake, tart, slice or brownie that you’re always asked to make for others?