Ah, Friday. I see you. I salute you. And I margarita you.
Yes, Stylers, when life hands you lemons from the backyard tree and a supply of duty-free tequila and Cointreau, it’s time to head to MargaritaVille.
I tell you, it’s a lovely place.
Quite refreshing but a little on the tarty side. But that’s ok with me.
We got re-acquainted with MargaritaVille when in the US – particularly on the West Coast.
I don’t think I ate at a restaurant that didn’t offer up this cocktail. I made it a little mini mission to try a few different ones but it’s the original that I’m more likely to whip up at home.
Now, you don’t have to go down the frozen path if you don’t want to. It’s just my preference.
We also came across a number of pre-mixed margarita drinks while in the States but I’d still stick to the old school combo of tequila, Cointreau (or Triple Sec) and lemon blizted with ice over a mixer any time. I tell myself that it’s healthier that way
Ingredients (makes two very big drinks)
4 cups of ice cubes
1/3 cup of Tequila
2 tbs Cointreau
6 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Throw all ingredients in a blender (I use our Thermomix … seriously good for turning it into a margarita slushie).
2. Blitz until you get the desired consistency.
3. Rub a lemon or lime wedge around the glasses you’re planning to use.
4. Turn glass upside down on a plate covered in salt so that salt covers the rim.
5. Pour into the salt-rimmed glasses and enjoy. Best served with a side of guacamole, don’t you think?
Now, a little note on my glasses. Yes, they’re THE Mexican blue glasses we all had to have in the early ’90s. Or was that just me?
Now, I’m generally not a hoarder but when it comes to my Mexican blue glass collection, they have followed me around since that first purchase. I have a whole cupboard of them in different shapes and sizes.
Do they qualify as vintage? I suspect yes.
Do I qualify as vintage? I suspect very much yes.
Do you like a margarita or two? Or have a favourite cocktail that gets you in the mood for spring and summer?