Remember when I wrote the first How to Wear Coloured Jeans post waaayyy back in February?
Hands up who thought this bright spot on the fashion horizon would be a one-season wonder?
Come on … don’t be shy.
A little part of me thought they would too. A little part of me that was quickly silenced once I actually started regularly wearing coloured jeans.
Honestly, throwing on a pair of coloured jeans is the ultimate in lazy-girl style.
In one swift pants-on movement (except that time I put my back out and realise I’m a tad too old for swift movements of any kind) you have made a fashion statement.
All you have to add is a neutral tee, a scarf, ballet flats or sandals and you’re out the door.
Now, if of late you’ve been anywhere near a fashion retailer – or browsing online at your fave stores – it will not have escaped your attention that the coloured jean is far from disappearing off the fashion radar.
They are EVERYWHERE. And colour? It’s a case of pick a colour, any colour.
It’s veritable rainbow out there.
If you’ve already jumped on the coloured jean bandwagon you will not need a scrap of prompting from me to go forth and add to your collection.
Oh, who am I kidding … you already have, haven’t you?
How to wear coloured jeans this season:
- Do not be afraid. There is a colour and a style to suit your shape out there. Try on as many as you can. When you start smiling just by putting on a pair, you’ll know you’re on a winner.
- Do not be afraid of the stretchy skinny or slim leg style of jean. Trust me, they are your friend and look much more flattering … and younger. It is what you choose to wear with those skinny or slim leg jeans that is best determined by your body shape.
- Do not be afraid of pale colours. They will not necessarily make your bum look bigger. It’s about hunting down the colour of your choice in a denim quality that slides over and smooths out any perceived lumps and bumps.
- Do not be afraid to “toughen” up pastel colours. Perhaps the full gelato look is not for you? Easy. Wear pastels back with black, charcoal, grey or tan.
- Do not be afraid of the cropped coloured jean. If you are tall, your ankles will look fabbo. If you are of average or shorter height, they will be the perfect summer length jean for you.
1. Ladakh jacket $79.95 @ The Iconic | 2. Witchery tee $59.95 | 3. Country Road cropped jean $99 | 4. Lipstik sandals $59.95 @ Style Tread | 5. Sussan bangle $19.95 | 6. ROC sunglasses $79.95 @ The Iconic
Click through this gallery for 15 styles of coloured jeans available now. There are styles here for all budgets (I couldn’t source images of the coloured jeans at Big W but they are $18.86 a pair and available in green, cobalt, pink, tangerine, light blue, purple, red, coral and lemon), shapes and sizes. Click on the links for where to buy.
Outfit posts featuring coloured jeans
- The birthday lunch outfit
- Fashion Week Day 4
- Fashion Week Day 3
- The 60th birthday outfit
- The speaking outfit
- The back to uni outfit
Instagram posts featuring coloured jeans
- Red jeans with black and white striped jacket
- Orange jeans with pastel silk scarf
- Orange jeans with taupe scarf
- Red jeans with pony loafers
- Teal jeans with leopard print loafers
Share your styleAre you onboard with coloured jeans? What colours do you own? What brands or styles work best for your body shape and budget? If you’re not onboard yet but want to dip your toes into this trend and still have questions, leave them in the comments below too.
Remember when we showed how to wear the Seed maxi tube condom dress more than 30 ways? And you helped others visualise themselves wearing the dress by sending me your photos? Are you up for sending me photos of your coloured jean style? Email me: email@example.com or tag me (@stylingyou) on Instagram with your photo.