Have you been playing along with my health kick series* of blog posts on putting the kick back into my health?
The very nature of what I write about here on Styling You means that I’m always thinking about what I use on my skin. Yes, I’m always trialling new things – no escaping that – but there are plenty of constants in my quest for good skin health.
And I honestly believe that good skin health is all about being consistent with those constants.
Someone in my life who is the epitome of consistency when it comes to skincare is my Nan. She’s 96 years old and to this day will not go to sleep without having Ponds Cold Cream rubbed into her face and hands. And her skin is testament to that consistency.
Me? It took me until I was earning a bit of part-time money as a teenager working in the deli at Woolies to “do” something with my skin on a daily basis. That something was good ol’ apricot kernel scrub. I had probably read in Dolly that it would change my life.
Can’t say it did … I think I was just lucky not to be plagued by teenage acne, just the odd breakout.
A few years later and I’m reading Cosmo and Cleo. I’m also living in the big smoke and get my first taste of being seduced by the makeup counters. I was a three-step Clinique girl all the way. Soap and all.
It was in my mid-to-late 20s that I started to experiment and play with my skincare. Getting advice and really understanding my skin and its needs. By the time I was 32 I was writing about skincare as part of my job. Things got serious very quickly
But behind every new skincare release; every new, powerful ingredient, I remember my Nan and her basic routine. So I have created my own.
1. Be mindful of what you eat and drink - what goes in really does affect how your skin behaves for you.
2. Get plenty of sleep. I’m not so good at this all the time. Let’s discuss it more in the next post, shall we?
3. Cleanse, and moisturise your face twice daily. Choose products that suit your skin. Not sure what suits? Book a facial with a skincare specialist and start with their advice. Good specialists won’t make you buy a truckload of products to meet that advice but will highlight key products and types of products that will help your skin.
4. Wear sunscreen every day – and be extra vigilant when out in the sun for prolonged periods of time. I tend to use a BB cream every day and bring in the big guns if I’m going to the beach. My skin is sensitive to a lot of sunscreen ingredients (natural and chemical) so when I find one or two that works, I stick to them.
4. Don’t forget the skin on your body as well. See that image up near the top? About three years ago I started an (almost) daily regime and my skin has thanked me for it ever since. I was working for authors of Like Chocolate for Women, Kim Morrison and Fleur Whelligan, at the time. They are aromatherapists and incorporate essential oils into their daily life. Three years down the track, I’m officially hooked. They advocate dry body brushing to get the lymphatic system pumping each day and a daily, post-shower, two-minute body boost, a quick self-massage, if you like. It’s as simple as adding a teaspoon of massage carrier oil to a small dish, along with three drops of your chosen essential oil blend and a spritz of magnesium oil. Start with your legs and work your way up. Your skin and your mind will love you for it.
*Golden Circle has released a new juice range – Golden Circle Healthy LifeTM Fruit Juice – which contains a unique combination of probiotic cultures clinically shown to support your natural immune system. Looking after your body with the right foods, exercise and rest also supports your immune system. And if you’re feeling well, then your skin will be very happy with you!
It’s the first of its kind of juice in Australia, offering a dairy-free dose of probiotics without added sugar or artificial flavours and colourings. Every serve contains 1 billion beneficial bacteria, which work in your gut to support your natural immune defences.
The juices come in Breakfast and Apple & Mango flavours in either a 1L or 300ml bottle. Both flavours got the thumbs up from the Styling You household but for my money, I’d choose the Breakfast juice all the way. Which works out well as the youngest in our household is more keen on the Apple Mango flavour (doesn’t like orange, apparently ). You’ll find them in the chilled section (they need to stay chilled to maintain their effectiveness) of major supermarkets in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
Styling You in conjunction with Nuffnang and Golden Circle is giving away a Golden Circle Healthy LifeTM Fruit Juice prize pack with each post in this series. Each pack contains a $50 Woolworths gift card and a 14 day Fernwood Fitness membership.
To enter, answer the question: What you think of Golden Circle Health LifeTM Fruit Juice. Leave your answer in the comment section below. The most creative and original answer wins. This competition opens on September 4, 2012 and closes on September 14, 2012. For full terms and conditions, click here.
But … I know you want more. There is a major giveaway happening as well. At the end of this series one reader from Styling You, Foodwatch or Scoop Nutrition (the other lovely ladies taking part) has the opportunity to win a $1000 lastminute.com.au voucher. All you need to do to is in the comments below let me know what you think of Golden Circle Health LifeTM Fruit Juice. For full terms and conditions, click here.
I KNOW! Get entering here.