I spent yesterday arranging place settings for 540 of my closest friends. Well, they’re not technically all my friends, and I didn’t have to set up alone. But it was a huge day. Today will be even bigger.
It’s the culmination of 12 months’ work for a charity event I volunteer for. The event is the Wishlist Spring Carnival Gala and this year we are raising money for kids who are affected by a parent or sibling who has a mental health or drug and alcohol condition. Last year we raised more than $100,000 to build a kids-dedicated section in the emergency department of our local hospital.
Weekend Sunrise’s Samantha Armytage and entertainer Damien Leith are being choppered in for the afternoon and I’ll be scouting the room for the best dressed male and female … in between sipping a little bit of champagne!
Which is why I’ve mixed things up a little with today’s post.
Here are some great style tips to take you into the weekend. Enjoy these links and let me know what you learned.
1. I’ve started a regular post over at new site Justb., called Wardrobe Rescue. This week a reader and good friend of mine asked me to help her actually wear two dresses she’d bought more than 12 months ago in New York. She’s a pants and jeans girl, loved these dresses at the time but hasn’t known what to style them with. Find out what I suggested here.
2. I was asked to do some modelling (clearly they were in need of a representative from the middle-aged, voluptuous category!) last weekend for one of my favourite Sunshine Coast boutiques, Soul Diva. Lucky I read stylist and blogger Imogen Lamport’s post about how to pose for photos before I did so. Felt like I was doing yoga in heels but worth the twists.
3. You’d have to be under a blogging rock to not know I’m currently giving away a Westfield styling session and a $1000 gift card. Well, when I was researching the post, I found this gem of a resource that will help you easily and quickly work out what body shape you are. Keep in mind that often we’re hybrids and need to be mindful of a couple of sets of rules.
4. Don’t you just love a style tip that accommodates the more *mature* among us? I do, which is why I was excited to hear on Sassybella that iconic frock designer Diane Von Furstenberg wears “nude fishnets because I am too old to not wear hose anymore”. They’d go perfectly with my new nude heels.
5. Spring has well and truly sprung today and most of Australia is in for a treat weather-wise this weekend. My love affair with the maxi – dress or skirt – continues unabated! Loving the trans-seasonal maxi style inspiration on this post at Fox in Flats.
6. ASOS yesterday opened an Australian-dedicated arm of its giant online shopping operation. My experience with ordering from the UK saw the item arrive quicker than a parcel from Sydney – and for free – so can’t wait to experience the Australian version. Love that returns are to an Australian address.
Did you find a style or fashion tip on a blog or website this week you’d like to share with Styling You readers?