Just when you thought I wasn’t going to mention maxi skirts EVER again (more fool you, Stylers, as I’m OBSESSED), a question pops up in my inbox from the lovely and super stylish Kerri:
“Just hoping you are planning on doing a spot on jackets for winter. I am looking for something I can wear with my numerous maxi skirts (mostly Country Road) and jeans, that I can wear to work but casual enough for shopping/kindy drop off/other Mum duties. I need your help because I have little to no time for trawling the shops and your posts have served me well so far. Love your style and advice.”
Kerri, can I just say that flattery will get you everywhere.
Key styling points:
1. Always look for balance and contrast in an outfit – so with a maxi skirt, contrast the length and shape of the skirt with a jacket that is the opposite of the skirt length.
2. Do wear a longer tee or top under the jacket to help create this balance.
3. Do aim for a jacket that gives you a little shape. Even if you don’t do it up, the very nature of its styling will work to show us you have shape. Too long a jacket will make you like more hobo than boho.
4. I’ve included a mix of options below – don’t be afraid to turn that maxi into an evening or work stunner.
1. Morrison Cassano leather jacket $899. Ok, so this may be a little out of my budget range but a girl’s got to dream and if she’s going to dream then it should be something classic and beautiful like this.
2. Witchery Cargo jacket $149.95. This is the perfect weight for wearing as the seasons change and if you’re a Queenslander this is all you’ll need for winter.
3. Sportsgirl denim jacket $89.95. Denim works a treat with this look – particularly a patterned maxi skirt.
4. Jacqui E Leonie bomber jacket $139.95. A great neutral to add to your outfit for any occasion.
5. sass & bide commercial love soft tailored jacket $650. Create a tailored day look with your maxi – the scarf can be worn as a scarf, as a belt or wrapped around as shown.
6. Country Road fur trim four-pocket parka $249. This jacket is cotton but fur-trim dresses it up.
7. Jeanswest aviator jacket $199.99. If you hadn’t cottoned on as yet, fur trims are huge this season.
8. Trenery washed linen jacket $149. Just the right balance of tailoring and casual with this one.
9. Basque French crepe waterfall jacket $189. Take your maxi skirt out after dark, simply had heels, a cami, this jacket and a statement necklace.
Like any of these jackets? Got a style question you’d like answered? Email me at [email protected]
It’s a bloggy-blog world….
Edited by Jessie Thorpe of Denimology
Hi all! I’m Jessie from Denimology and I am happy to be one of IFB’s new Links à la Mode editors! In the last couple of years, bloggers are being heard far and wide and across the globe. I am happy to be sharing the locations around the interwebs that interest little ol’ me with all of you. Included in this weeks links: how to fake that you’ve gotten enough sleep to Gilt’s Disaster Relief Fund and a first hand account of Target’s Go International dress collection launch. Get to clicking and show your fellow blogger’s some lovin’.